chapter twenty eight - candlelight

─── ・ 。゚☆: *

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"An artist, wow!" I beamed at Juniper. "Well I could see it, you do look pretty arty."
"Hmm thank you," she sipped her wine. "What about you? Do you have a dream?"
"Boy, do I have a dream," I thought. "A writer." Juniper's jaw dropped. I didn't see what was so surprising, lots of people in New York wanted to be writers, it was kind of like the city of writers and journalism.

"Really?" she breathed.
"Don't sound so shocked. I am rather good at it, you know?" I teased.
"I'm sure you are. Have you published anything?"
"Not yet. I'm just getting started with a manuscript," I explained.
Juniper smirked. "Better get a move on then."
"I'm 22! I have ages."
"And I'm 23 and working as a waitress."

Wow, it's getting pretty late," she checked her watch.
"Huh!" I looked outside. It was pitch black, aside from a few lampposts. "I'll pay the bill," I offered when the waiter came around. "Nah, I'll get it. I'm not the one who's unemployed."
"Woah! Definitely not paying now," I pushed my purse back into my bag. "You can get that!"

Juniper inserted her card into the machine. There was an electrical whir all around us just as the lanterns dangling above our heads lost their light. As did the wall lights, turning the restaurant pitch black.

"Okay, I swear that wasn't me," she stated.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

I knocked on Monica's door. It was just me. Juniper had given me a ride home but had to go home to take care of her cocker spaniel puppy. Hearing that she had a dog, I nearly insisted on me coming back to hers but she pointed out soon enough that my sister would be worried about me.

"Oh my God where the hell were you, I was so worried," Monica squished me in a hug. So Juniper wasn't wrong then. "Juniper just dropped me off. We had finished dinner so it's okay I'm not hungry."
"Shame, all this milk, cheese and yoghurt is gonna go off," Mon opened the fridge but no light left the box.
"Sorry?"
"Yeah you should be," said Pheebs.

"Hey, can I borrow the phone?" I picked up the phone.
"Well since you practically live here," grumbled Mon,
I sent an uncanny impression of Mon to Ross and dialled Juniper's number. "I said I'd give her a call just to make sure I was okay, jeez."
The phone tolled a couple of times before she picked up.

"Hey you," she greeted.
"Hi just letting you know I got in okay, I'm with my sister, my brother, Phoebe, Rachel and Joey."
"Wow, definitely safe then," she giggled. "I'm home alone."
"Are you serious?" I exclaimed. "Do you want me to come over?"
"You're kidding, you just got in, and anyway I have Ginger keeping me company."
"Juniper and Ginger, you're both named after spices," I giggled.
Juniper sighed over the phone. "But you're the real ginge, aren't you? All that genetically inexplicable red hair-" Monica heard and started to laugh.
"Okay I'm hanging up now," I put the phone back on the machine. "Byeee!"