chapter twenty six - the sun rose and stars

─── ・ 。゚☆: *

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"You want me to go to therapy?!" I exclaimed wildly. This was completely ridiculous. Mom had been suggesting excessively that I was depressed. And before you ask, no I'm not depressed. This whole Rachel thing had just led to a lot of built up emotions and, yes, they'd come out in teary outbursts in front of Monica. I can't believe she'd told her. Judging by the conversation so far, I don't think she had mentioned that I liked Rachel but without any reasoning, mom had drawn the conclusion that I was suffering from depression.

"Are you even qualified to diagnose me with depression?" I asked.
Mom tilted her head slightly and poised her fork over her pasta. "Well, no but the women at the hairdresser's-"
"That's what you're judging my well-being off: gossip over magazines?" I snapped across her.
"Elizabeth you're not listening to me-"
"I am and what you're saying sounds absolutely ridiculous. How would you even know how I'm feeling? You pay no attention to me. And if you did pay attention you'd realise that I'm suffering from anxiety not depression. This is the first time we've talked since, what, Monica's spaghetti dinner?"

My mom leaned back from the table, appalled. "I didn't realise you wanted me around. I thought you were mad at me for not being the most... accepting mother."
"I am mad at you!" I threw my knife down. "Is that why you invited me here today?" I glanced around. "Just to say, 'hey Lizzie, there's something wrong with you,' because God I think I know that. Even if I didn't, you'd make it perfectly aware to me, so thank you!"

She was quiet. Coward she is, she poked solemnly at her gnocchi, every so often, stealing a piece and placing it between her teeth. "Anything else you have to tell me? Because I've got some stuff to tell you. I'm writing a manuscript that Chandler helped me get started on. I started seeing this guy, Nicholas. It didn't work out. Joey got a role in the new Al Pachino movie. Don't ask what. Any questions?"

Mom froze.

"Didn't think so." I slammed my napkin on the table, grabbed my bag and walked out. When I looked back through the window, she was staring ahead, captivated by something. Perhaps her own shock. "Thank you, have a good day," I heard someone mutter in the background. All the while I stared at my mom. My nostrils began to flare and my eyes sting with salt. Maybe I was depressed. "Lizzie, was it?" The voice drew closer. I turned around to realise it was Juniper. Of course.

"Yep," I turned around. Juniper's facial expression dropped immediately when she saw I was crying. I ruffled my nose and smiled with my teeth to try and help the situation. "What's wrong?" She stepped closer. "Nothing, just mom stuff, you know?" I sniffled. "But it's okay."
"Oh." Arms limp, she stood before me, eyes on my knee caps which was quite a look down for her; she was a fair few inches taller than me.

"I think I'm gonna go," I pointed behind me despite the fact I actually needed to walk ahead.
"Wait, let me give you a ride home, I'm on my break anyway."
"No, that's really okay, I'm not far." I was far.
Juniper opened her mouth then closed it again. "You erm, you have an eyelash on your cheek."
I immediately reached for my cheek and rubbed it harshly. "Other side," she pointed. "Let me." Her fingers were long and olive tanned. Fingernails manicured perfectly and painted a sweet ochre. "Got it." She dusted the lash off her finger tip.