chapter eighteen - city of stars

─── ・ 。゚☆: *

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"ARE YOU HEADING over to mine soon?" queried Monica standing at the door mixing some cookie dough. "Ummm yup is it like pyjamas and stuff?" I asked.
"Sure!" she nodded at my attire. I was wearing cyan and grey pinstripe pyjamas. "Are those koalas?" she snuffed. "Leave me alone." I closed the door behind me and held my teddy bear in one hand and blanket in another. "Oh my God you still have that thing?" she pointed to the bear.
"Stop being mean!" I exclaimed in an outburst.
"This isn't a 12-year-old girls' sleepover; it's a slumber party!" Monica shamed as I entered her apartment.
"What's the difference?"
"You know... we have alcohol."
"Uh-huh," I nodded, still keeping a clutch on my bear.

"Pheebs! Hi!" I greeted Phoebe who was on the couch scouting through the Operation box.
"Hey! Oh this is so fun!" she beamed suddenly, getting all excited.
"I know!" I bounced around and matched her childish energy.
"Ooh do you want a brownie?" She offered a chocolate delicacy.
"Aw thanks!" I accepted.
"Lizzie no-" Monica quickly intercepted, taking the brownie out of my hands. I gave her an off look before she widened her eyes and then I realised.

I turned back to Phoebe who was still turning the Operation box inside out. "Whatcha looking for Pheebs?"
"The tweezers, I think I lost them," she slammed the box down, giving up.
"Oh we still have Twister!" I pointed to the box on the floor.
"Definitely not drunk enough yet," giggled Mon, handing me an alcoholic drink.
"Can I see your ID please?" Phoebe joked, picking up my bear and moving its limbs to her words.
"Animal cruelty." Phoebe dropped the bear immediately while Monica rolled her eyes. I took a long rebellious slurp of the drink and I tried not to wince at its strength. It took me a moment to realise the silence that sat uncomfortably in the room. Awkwardly, my eyes glittered idly up to Mon and Pheebs who were looking at me expectantly.

"What?" I said after a pause.
"So..." Phoebe hinted.
"So...?"
"So you and Rachel," Monica snapped.
"Oh no no no there's gonna be none of that tonight," I placed the drink on the coffee table.
"Seriously? You guys are perfect for one another," stated Pheebs.
"Why would you say that?" I hardened my brow. "She doesn't like women, how are we 'perfect'?"
"Oh come on, you guys are more than friends! The way you guys communicate and hug and just interact there's something more there I'm telling you."
"Phoebe if you can tell me right here and right now that she is open to a relationship with a woman, maybe I'll believe you," I decided, picking up my drink.

"You seriously won't even allow the possibility that she may like you, will you?" Monica turned.
"No," I took a sip of my drink. "I've been in love with her for so long now it's just delusional to think something could happen." Phoebe's face softened and her eyes grew wide with something that awfully resembled pity. "You don't need to feel bad for me. This happens all the time right?"
"No! You're in love, Lizzie- that doesn't happen often," Monica rubbed my arm.
"In love with who?" All our heads snapped around to see Rachel by the door holding her purse in her clutch. My heart skipped a beat and my mouth froze- I didn't know what to say. "With- with this punch!" Monica made up quickly.
"Yes!"
"Exactly!"