Chapter 2 - Meeting the Bad Batch Pt. 1

Three days.

For three days Callista has walked and so far she's found nothing. She'd be lying if she said she wasn't getting a tad worried about what would happen if nothing was found.
She had no food and only one small water bottle that was filled before her departure from Ord Mantel. There was only so long she could ration it and after that Callista wasn't sure what to do. So far in her trek she hasn't come across another water source.

But she plowed on, holding on to the small hope that there would be civilization over the next hill or the next break in the trees. 

To keep herself from going in circles, Callista would carve a line in every other tree she passed with a pocket knife and so far she's only run into an already carved tree twice. At least she thought of one good idea.

After walking for three hours on the third day, Callista decided to take a break.

She stood with her back against a tree and took her water bottle out. All that was left was barely a gulp of water that left her mouth begging for more after it was gone. She hit the side of the cannister to get every last drop though it wasn't much and after that Callista threw the bottle to the ground in frustration. Now she was officially doomed.

Callista clutched her stomach as it growled. She had gone days without eating before, but that was when she was on an inhabited planet and there was always the assurance that she'd find something edible, whether it be in a dumpster or she swipe something in a market when no one was looking. Here, not so much. Her knowledge on different plants was greater than most, but so far nothing on this planet was recognizable and Calli was too smart to chance eating something only for it to be poisonous.

Just as Callista thought about giving up, her  ears picked up the sound of what might have been an explosion. And it sounded very close.

She quickly straightened up and listened intently as the sound echoed off the trees and some unidentifiable little flying creatures were startled and flew away from their perches in the trees. Then there was silence.

Not a second later there was another explosion and Callista's head turned to the left. It definitely came from that direction.
Callista was quick to gather her things and start running in the direction the explosions came from.

She didn't stop to wonder what caused the explosions or if running towards them would be safe. Where there's explosions there has to be people.

Callista ran for a good five minutes before stopping at the edge of a clearing and right in the middle of it was a ship. It wasn't as big as a cargo ship, but it was too large to be a single fighter ship. Callista went through a mental list of what kind of ship it could be and deduced it was an attack shuttle. Callista thought it could be an Omicron-class one, like the Republic would use, but there were some discrepancies between the real one and this ship. Maybe this ship was stolen by pirates and modified.

Callista shook her head. Now wasn't the time to wonder about the ship. What matters is what's inside it: food, water, and medical supplies.

Filled with determination, Callista was about to step out into the open when her eyes caught movement coming from the other side of the ship. People. She could only see them from the gap between the ground and the bottom of the ship, which wasn't much besides boots that were walking around. They were too far away for Callista to hear any talking, and she briefly hesitated to continue her mission. What if there was someone inside the ship?

When Callista's stomach growled, she knew she needed to at least try. If she gets caught, well she could easily outrun whoever these people were. Or outsmart them.