Chapter 52 - A Distant Echo

Hunter was on his way back to the Marauder after the debriefing when he passed Skywalker and Rex, seeming to be in a heated discussion when the latter flagged the Sergeant down. His antisocialness kicked in and Hunter had half a mind to pretend he didn't see the reg, but that wasn't reasonable, so he sucked it up, forcing a tiny smile on his face as he joined the pair.

"I was going to ask that your squad stick around for the rescue mission." Rex said hopefully, having been impressed with Clone Force 99's work and now feeling they'd be imperative to the rescue of Echo, whom he wholeheartedly believed was alive.

"Word is the Council isn't completely behind this mission." Hunter commented and Rex huffed but remained hopeful.

"I admit the idea that Echo is still alive is a long shot." The captain admitted, doing his best to keep his eagerness under check over the fact that one of his most beloved brothers might actually be alive! "I'm sure the Council will approve the mission." Rex said with certainty shortly after, though Hunter could hear just the slightest doubt in his tone, and the Sergeant felt a little bad for the reg Captain.

"Just remember the primary goal is to learn how the Separatists are predicting our strategy, whether it's Echo behind it or not." Skywalker reminded Rex, and the reg pursed his lips but nodded in understanding.

"Well, if you want my opinion, it sounds like a trap," Hunter admitted before letting a tiny smirk grace his features as he added playfully,"- but me and the boys will tag along anyway, if only to say, "I told you so.""

"Just make sure you're ready if we get the go-ahead from General Kenobi." Anakin told the Sergeant, who nodded.

"If you're certain he'll approve the mission, why wait?" Rex asked, some of his impatience slipping through his calm facade, "Let's get going." Rex looked ready to burst, yet the General cleared his throat, making the captain look at him questionably.

"First, we have that thing to do." Skywalker said vaguely, and Rex now looked more confused, as did Hunter, who raised an eyebrow at the General.

"Uh, what "thing?"" The reg repeated, not following.

" You know..." Anakin's eyes flitted towards the barracks then back at Rex. Realization dawned on the reg's features, then he coughed awkwardly.

"We don't have time for-for that, sir." Rex tried saying, and Anakin turned to face him fully and stare him down with his arms crossed.

"Yes, we do." The General insisted stubbornly. Hunter could sense an argument was imminent and decided now was a good time to escape.

"Well, I'll just let you two sort this out." He stated, taking a step back while pointing his thumb behind him, "I'll be waiting on the ship with the rest of the team." Looks like Calli is gonna get what she wants.

○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○

When Tech commed Calli and told her they'd be joining General Skywalker and Rex on the rescue mission, Calli had to suppress a shout of triumph, lest she draw attention to herself from the regs. She'd wandered around a bit after her and Hunter's disagreement, and found herself by the barracks, being partially hidden from passersby as she sat against some barrels adjacent to the reg's sleeping quarters.

Despite doing her best to occupy her mind on other things, Calli's mind kept going back to Hunter and their disagreement, then by default the cause of it: Jace. She kept telling herself that their relationship was strictly platonic, and they had absolutely no romantic feelings whatsoever. She'd nor Jace had ever brought up what happened on Naboo - er almost at least and Calli preferred it never be spoken of. She thought it was for the better and that it wouldn't cause any problems. But now that they were in each other's presence in person again, the event was at the forefront of her mind, especially after her and Hunter's argument.