Chapter 29 - Suicide Mission

Scar immediately made her way into the cockpit and claimed the copilot seat. She'd pretty much become Tech's copilot instead of Wrecker, which didn't bother the strong clone. He was more than willing to pass the role onto her, he didn't like the job much anyway. He'd rather be the one shooting down seppies when they were in an air fight and now he could.

She tried to not pay attention to Jace who occupied Crosshair's chair and she could see him from her peripherals. His Master must have been in the main hold with the others.

"Excellent work on the navicomputer, Scar." Tech commented, and Scar's lips turned up in pride until she remembered that he'd been in on Hunter's plan and the smile turned into a frown.

"Yeah thanks. Let's just get this show on the road." Tech scrunched his eyebrows at her cool response but didn't say anything as they piloted the ship out of the hanger and in no time at all they were in hyperspace. "So what exactly is our mission?" Scar asked despite being mad at Tech.

"Perhaps the Commander can fill you in. I need to make sure the cloaking device you and I built is ready." Scar looked at Tech with surprise.

"We're using it?" Tech nodded, "But we haven't even tested it properly yet to see if it will work."

"It will." Tech said confidently, getting up from his seat, "I'm just going to make a few last adjustments to it. You're in charge of the ship until I get back."

"But -" Scar sighed when Tech left the cockpit before she could say anything else. After shaking her head, she turned, her eyes glancing at Jace briefly while doing so before focusing on the control panel in front of her.

After a few beats of awkward silence, Jace spoke when it was obvious Scar wasn't going to.

"So... Do you want to know what the mission is?" He asked and while Scar was curious about what this mission was, she took the opportunity of them being alone to question him about what had happened a few minutes ago.

"First I want to ask you something." Scar doesn't wait for him to reply, "Why didn't you say anything about the fight to Hunter?" Jace shrugged like it was no big deal.

"I could sense that the Sergeant was already on a short fuse from earlier and didn't want to make him snap before the mission. We all need to be focused. Plus my master has covered for me countless times." Scar shook her head, not buying this.

"But we just met." She stated matter-of-factly, "Obviously you want something in return." Jace looked at her like she had grown a second head.

"Uh no, what makes you think I want something?" Scar couldn't stop herself from scoffing. He was just messing with her, he had to be and it annoyed the girl.

"Oh please, playing dumb isn't going to work. Where I come from, if someone does you a favor, they expect something in return. That's how it works."

"Well I don't." Jace insisted, but Scar couldn't bring herself to believe him.

"Yeah right." Jace couldn't fathom why the girl had a hard time believing him. He'd sensed some anger from the girl that was directed towards him and he didn't understand why.

"Ok, do you and I have a problem?" He asked, having had enough of her attitude, "I did something nice for you and you're acting like it's the end of the world."

"Because I didn't ask you to cover for me." Scar told him angrily, "And I don't like owing people anything. So just do me a favor, and mind your own business."

Jace shook his head in disbelief, not understanding this girl at all. He was frustrated and hurt that she was quick to assume his intentions were selfish when all he was doing was trying to help.