Chapter 16 - Lunch with the Bad Batch

(I had to add the gif above lol as it goes well with this chapter

(I had to add the gif above lol as it goes well with this chapter.)

Callista was dozing off on her bed, still under the effect of the sedative she'd been given before the surgery. She had her cybernetics implanted and would soon be able to function like a normal person. Despite her hatred for medical procedures, Callista looked forward to being able to walk and use her dominant arm once more.

It's been a week since she's woken up. Thanks to several sessions in the bacta tanks, her burns had healed up nicely, though her skin in those areas was a light pink, a stark contrast to her natural tanned skin. She no longer had to wear a bandage over her right eye, though the skin surrounding it was pink from the healing burns and there was a nice scar from the piece of shrapnel that had nicked her when on Taris.

Raising her right arm, Callista inspected the prosthetic that looked like the real thing. All the metal and wires were hidden underneath the synthflesh that made it appear so life-like.

The door to her room opens and she can't help but smile a little when she sees Wrecker poke his head in with a hand covering his eyes and ask if she was decent so he could enter.

"You can come in." Callista said, her voice sounding groggy. Perhaps the sedatives haven't completely worn off.

Uncovering his eyes and smiling, Wrecker came in along with the other three members of his squad which surprised Callista. Hunter had come to see her a couple times on his own, and Tech tagged along with Wrecker a few times. Crosshair hasn't come at all which didn't bother Callista since they don't get along very well.

Wrecker has been the one to visit her the most, regaling her with stories of their past missions - though she still doesn't know how he got the nasty scar on his face. Callista guessed it might have been something too traumatic to talk about - or he just simply forgot he had that scar.

"How's it going, Scar?" Wrecker asked good-naturedly and Callista wrinkled her forehead.

"Scar?" She repeated curiously, and Wrecker nodded.

"You've got that cool scar on your face now - I think Scar is a good nickname. U-Unless you'd like it if I just called you Callista."

"Scar is good. I never liked my real name anyways - takes too long to say."

"Is that why you called yourself C.J on the mission? Is C.J. what you normally go by?" Tech asked and Callista shook her head at the second question.

"No, someone I used to know called me C.J. I normally went by Callista or Calli - sometimes just Cal."

"How fascinating." Crosshair said sarcastically, and Callista shot him a glare but didn't say anything to him.

"Not trying to sound mean, but what are you all doing here?"

"We wanted to check on your progress." Tech said matter-of-factly, before glancing at a certain sniper who'd taken the chair next to Callista's bed(it was the only one with some padding in it - the others were less comfortable) "Though Crosshair might have been secretly hoping you'd be fighting another medic when we arrived." Callista felt her face redden in embarrassment and she hoped that none of the medics suffered permanent injuries - at least not physically. Mentally they might be scarred though. How many people can say they've been attacked by a crippled fifteen year old?