Chapter 4 -Fear

The next morning Sophie was rushing to make sure she was on time. She used to have a spotless attendance record before becoming a widow. Now that all the household duties and childrearing fell on her shoulders she found herself late more often.

Today though, with the promotion so close she couldn't be late. Growing up with a single mom and she knew the struggle all too well.  She never realized despite her best efforts she too would be one.

Coordinating school drop off for Phoebe and the ER shifts was always challenging. Thankfully Phoebe was a mature and independent 6 year old. She was usually dressed and had rummaged some form of breakfast before Sophie even stepped out of the bedroom door.

Sophie realized she hadn't heard the normal stirrings of Phoebe getting ready and opening cabinet doors. She headed for Phoebe's room to find her daughter still curled up under her unicorn blanket. Finding her still in bed was out of character for her.

"Are you sick?" Sophie inquired.

This isn't typically like her; she was usually a chipper morning person bouncing about ready to get to school. Before jumping to conclusions she assessed her daughter for signs of sickness only to determine that  laziness was keeping her down. She groaned and proclaimed that she didn't want to go to school today.

" Get out of bed NOW PHOEBE! Of all the days I can not be late TODAY," she bellowed, tossing her hands up in the air.

Of all the days for Phoebe to have a dramatic behavioral change it had to be today? The day Sophie needed everything to go smoothly for once in a long time.

Phoebe slowly slithered out of bed and plopped on the floor acting as if each body part weighed 100 pounds.

"I will take you in your pjs. Don't think I won't," Sophie threatened.

Phoebe had always cared about how she looked in front of people. Showing up to school in her pjs would be punishment enough if she made her late. Phoebe began to mosey over to her dresser and started  to get dressed.

Sophie assumed this defiance was related to her saying no about the acting job. She knew Phoebe was disappointed which was exactly why she could kick her brother right now for even mentioning it. It has already caused a problem.

Sophie finished packing her work bag and their lunches. She headed out to the car and started it. Turning the AC on blast to cool it down while she waited for Phoebe. Phoebe was moving at a snail's pace which was really starting to tax Sophie's fried nerves.

She was not usually this impatient but for the first time in a while she was  looking forward to some good news. She wanted this promotion and not knowing if she got it right now was making her stomach twist and turn.

Finally Phoebe appeared walking out the door. Her hair messy and clothes disheveled. Sophie will have to address this sulky behavior after school.

Phoebe made it into the car and Sophie reversed so quickly she took out the curbside trash cans. She quickly jumped out, grabbed the fallen debris and placed them up right again along the curb. This morning was not boding for good news so far.

Thankfully Sophie didn't put much stock into the mystical world of 'luck' as much as her mom did.  Of course they hit EVERY stop light. They reached Phoebe's school and Sophie rushed Phoebe out the door.  Normally she would stay and wait to see her fully walk into the double doors but she needed those extra seconds of time.

"I love you my little Honey Bee! We will go out tonight for dinner," Sophie hollered out the rolled down passenger side window. Phoebe just shrugged and walked on head hanging low.