Ch 27

Now that the big secret was out in the open of where Chace was spending his weekends Sophie knew Sunday for him would be spent out on the farm. No reason for her to deviate from her typical Sunday plans. She went to church and drove over to Pastor Miller's house after with Jonathan.

As usual they ate lunch all together but slowly people left the table leaving Jonathan and Sophie behind.

"So are you going to tell me what yesterday was all about?" Jonathan's eyes met Sophie's over his glass of sweet tea.

Sophie squirmed and shifted her weight as she quickly tried to come up with a solution for her disappearance. She didn't know what to say, especially to Jonathan.

"I wish I could tell you but that would be gossip so you'll have to speak to Chace, " Sophie felt that was a solid answer and not far from the truth.

Jonathan's eyes didn't deviate from Sophies'. "Uh-huh I see. And you were gone so long because....."

Despite  his age Jonathan was perceptive especially reading people, or at least Sophie. Sophie took a sip of her tea hoping it allowed her time to think of a good answer.

"It's complicated. Chace and I have become close recently but there is still a lot of distance between us, for good reason." Sophie attempted to make it sound as nonchalantly as possible.

"Hmmm, I see. I hope you know what you are doing. You deserve the best and I am not sure that that falls under Chace's capabilities." Jonathan obviously saw through her ruse.

"Thank you for your concern, I'll take that under advisement," Sophie smiled, attempting to make the mood more lighthearted.

"Remember who wins the race in the tortoise and the hare," Jonathan winked at Sophie plastering a wide playful grin on his chiseled jaw line.

Sophie wasn't exactly sure what Jonathan was eluding to but she was hoping she wasn't going to get caught in a love triangle. Thankfully Pastor Miller rescued her from having to delve further into Jonathan's intentions.

"This week is Thanksgiving and I would love to open up my home to you guys, " Pastor Miller said cheerfully.

"Oh that is so very kind of you!" Sophie exclaimed. With her busy schedule and not being at home it totally escaped her that this week was Thanksgiving. The past few years it was just another day to her. She wasn't always in the mood to celebrate what she was supposed to be thankful for. Plus as an ER nurse she was required to work most holidays. Thanksgiving was a day spent eating free hospital "turkey" dinners and taking care of drunk patients.

"I appreciate the invite but I am not sure what my brother would like to do since we have the chance to be together this year," replied Sophie.

"Oh, bring him! The more the merrier! Pam is bringing her son too." Pastor Miller replies.

Sophie knew what that meant. Chace would be there too. She couldn't deny that she was eager to go now with the prospect of that news.

Jonathan quickly spoke up, probably coming to the same conclusion she had, " Count me in!"

"I assumed you would be joining your family, no?" Pastor Miller asked inquisitively.

"I have entirely too much to do with the fall festival to take time off to see the family." Although Sophie was suspicious of Jonathan's real motives she thought she better just let it rest. Jonathan did have a devotion to the church, a quality she quite admired. She realized then she didn't know where Chace stood on religion. He never accompanied his mom to church, but maybe he wasn't allowed with the probation? She would eventually get around to asking because that was nonnegotiable for her.

Jonathan drove them home and to all the occupants inside they were surprised Chace was sitting on her trailer steps waiting for their arrival. When the truck stopped Phoebe exploded out the back seat and ran to greet Chace. He held out a stuffed cow with the ice cream shop's logo on it. The cow wore a collar with a name tag.

"Marigold?" Phoebe read aloud.

"Yes, that's the cow you milked yesterday. Sorry I missed it but next time I want you to show me." Phoebe clutched the stuffed cow, wrapped her arms around Chace and then went into the trailer.

Still being the gentleman that he was, Jonathan walked Sophie up to her door. Jonathan nodded in Chace's direction in acknowledgement as he swooped one arm around Sophie's waist for a side hug. It appeared mostly innocent and friendly to Sophie, but not to Chace who could see Jonathan's smug face.

"I'll see you soon Sophie." He waved goodbye and off he was.

Sophie smiled unsure how to break the awkward tension since this was the first time since they saw each other after their heart to heart.

"Hi there." She nervous;y  smiled, tucking a loose piece of wavy hair behind her ear as she stared at her keds then back at him. 

Chace stood up on the steps and his frame towered over her with his green flannel shirt snug to his bulky frame. He got off the steps and met her on level ground.
"That was sweet to bring a gift for Phoebe."
He shrugged, " I like seeing her happy."
He brought something out from behind his back.

"Don't think I forgot about you," he gave a boyish grin.

He presented her with a cactus that had a yellow flower blooming.

Sophie stared at it in confusion unsure of its significance. She wanted to convey appreciation but at the same time she was bewildered why this was his gift of choice.

" A cactus?" Sophie inquired with skepticism in her voice.

"Technically a cacti," Chace corrected her. He saw her roll her eyes and smiled. "It's called a prickly pear and reminds me of you."

Chace was being coy with her, a quality she has grown fond of.

  "Oh really how so?" She crossed her arms in an attempt to look offended.

"Well you can be a bit prickly at first but if you are patient enough you can see the true beauty that was there the whole time." Chace smiled his playful smile that caused Sophie's heart to feel like it was in a vice grip. She didn't remember having these strong bodily reactions with Thomas. Everything with
Chace seemed more vibrant and real.

Although incredibly cheesy, Sophie couldn't deny how sweet it was. Since bantoring was their version of flirting she had to retaliate.

"Oh and here I was thinking it was because CACTI are survivalists who can still be beautiful but can protect themselves from anyone who gets too close." Adding emphasis by sticking out her tongue.

"Touche," Chace laughed. That's what he loved about her. She always kept him on his toes. He handed her the cacti and briefly he felt the warmth of her hands on his. It's all that he needed for his heart to skip a beat.

Feeling emboldened Sophie leaned in and kissed him on the cheek, " Thank you, I love my cactus and the gift you got Phoebe." Her soft lips clashed with his 5'0 shadow causing Chace's jaw to flex.

Sophie stepped inside her trailer, the door shutting behind. Chace walked to his trailer feeling weightless. He couldn't recall if any other woman ever had this effect on him before.