Ch 25: Colliding

Once outside the fresh fall air helped calm Sophie down. Chace managed to find the exact cord that struck her nerve. Of course she always wondered if she alone was enough for Phoebe. It also seemed dumb to Sophie to date under the pretense of just finding Phoebe a father. Hey wanna be my baby daddy? Sophie cringed at the idea.

Regardless, Chace went out of his way today to cheer her up and he was just trying to make friendly conversation. He even let her have a sneak peak into his world. He isn't experienced with dealing with the tight rope course of what a widows inner thoughts and feelings can be. Exactly why dating as a widow seems impossible. She started to pace now feeling embarrassed of how she stormed out after all he had done. She decided to walk back in and tell him how grateful she was. As she grabbed the handle to the diner it was then thrusted towards as someone exited. Sophie was caught off guard and started to fall back when two firm hands reached around her waist and pulled back up. The force caused her to collide into him knocking the breath out of her as pressed against his firm abs. Looking up she could see Chace concerned and remorseful. He didn't make any sudden movements, just continued to hold his hands to the small of her back. Her wavy hair tickled his nose delivering the sweetest scent of coconut. Sophie was so close to his chest she could feel his heart racing and the pulse quicken. She looked up at his ocean blue eyes and managed to utter, "Thank you."

Chace was stunned by her comment; he didn't know what else to say. Sophie placed her hands behind his neck and gave him a hug as she whispered in his ear, "Thank you for today too, it really was perfect."

Chace, a man who has to duck to walk  into most doorways and is as big as a wall in that moment could have easily been pushed over by a feather.

Sophie released her arms around his neck as Chace unwrapped his arms around her waist. He moved to her side of the truck and helped her in and then went to his side.

When they arrived back to the trailers Phoebe was already asleep and Mark was up waiting for their return. Sophie greeted Mark with a smile and headed inside to shower. Before Chace made it to his trailer door Mark called after him.

"Chace!" Mark shouted as he jogged over to him.

Chace turned around anticipating some lecture from the "older brother."Chace stood and faced Mark.

"Listen I'm not sure of your intentions with my sister but I just you to know one thing. She doesn't need to be hurt again. She has already been hurt more than one person should have to in a life time I don't want her to suffer again if I can prevent it. I know my sister and I trust her judge of character. I just want to make sure you know what you are doing."

Chace knew that Sophie was lucky to have a brother like Mark who cared so deeply for her. He had a sister too but over the past few years he has neglected his relationship. Another regret he hopes to rectify.

"I understand."

"Do you though? Truly think about what you are doing before you just act. It's not just Sophie its Phoebe too."

"I get it. I know I haven't had the best track record but I genuinely care for both Phoebe and Sophie. I don't want either of them to ever get hurt. You have my word."

Mark was hoping to scare Chace off and if that didn't work to tell him to stay away from his sister. Either Chace was the worlds greatest actor or he meant what he said. Michael didn't want to mettle in her love life but felt it was his brotherly duty to protect her. He had spoke his peace.

With a handshake it sealed the understanding and Mark walked back to his trailer.

Chace went to bed that night feeling a thousand times lighter and happier relishing in the brief moment he had when he embraced Sophie.