CH. 24 The Diner

They got into Chace's truck and headed back towards the set. Although Sophie felt infinitely better than she had, she still didn't feel much like talking. She was still processing and wanted to hideaway for the remainder of the evening. However, her stomach had other ideas and started to noisily betray her.

Chace chuckled, "Would you like to stop to get a bite to eat?"

Sophie wanted to get back quickly to see Phoebe but she knew after the horse back riding and the fact she hadn't eaten all day she needed sustenance. She also didn't feel up for cooking and wasn't sure what was left from her last grocery trip run.

"If it's not too much trouble," Sophie softly stated.

Chace wasn't used to seeing Sophie so meek. She normally had some sarcastic dig but today he was experiencing a different side of her. He didn't mind these few moments where he was allowed the opportunity to take care of her for once.

They pulled into a diner that was right off the road. As they walked in the door chimed, alerting the employees of new arrivals. Chace waltzed in and headed to the very far back and took a seat in the booth without even waiting to be greeted by staff. Sophie followed him slowly, unsure if it was customary for customers to just seat themselves.

Finally a middle aged bleach blonde woman popped out from behind the counter. She spotted Chace and hollered, "Usual?"

He nodded.

Chace, "She'll take the same."

Sophie was tired from her day but she still wouldn't give Chace the satisfaction of ordering for her.

"Excuse me, I can order for myself. Thank you!" Sophie grumbled.

The waitress cocked her head into Sophie's direction and as the side of her mouth lifted in a half smile, "Oh I like her, She's a firecracker." She said in her best southern drawl. She took the pen out that had previously been behind her ear and reached for her writing pad in her pocket.

"Alright sweetie, what'll it be?"

Sophie looked over the menu but her eyes caused her stomach to growl again. She honestly wanted one of everything.

"I'll take an Every Day omelet with toast, homefries, 2 strips of bacon and a side of french toast. Also, may I have a coffee too please?" Sophie placed the menu down triumphantly.

"Wow, girls got an appetite too. I'm impressed." The waitress retrieved the menu after smiling at Chace.

"I knew you wouldn't let me order for you," Chace stretched his arms behind his head.

"Then why did you even try," Sophie folded her arms across her chest.

"I like when you get all bossy, it was the only way I could think of to get you to act like the fiery woman I'm used to." He grinned and that boyish playful charm made Sophie's heart flutter alive.

Sophie rolled her eyes but did have to give him a smile for playing her like a fiddle. They were the only two customers in the place and sitting directly across from each other like a date made Sophie squirm in her rickety seat.

The waitress returned bringing a pitcher of coffee for both and a dish of creamers. She didn't engage in any further conversation, just headed to the back again.

Sophie prepared her coffee and held it up to her lips, blowing on it to cool it off.

" Um, so, I take it, you come here often too?" Just like the barn she wanted to say.

"You can say that, " Chace shrugged as he replied.

"How come you know more about me than I know about you?" Sophie cornered.