Ch. 14 Alona

Mark was waiting for Sophie on her trailer steps when Jonathan's truck pulled up. Seeing his sister and niece in an unknown truck with another guy made Mark abruptly stand to his feet.

Jonathan  stepped out of the vehicle to help Phoebe down out of the back and then opened the door for Sophie. Realizing there was no way she would get out of introducing Jonathan, Sophie politely stated, " Hey Mark this is Jonathan. He plays in the worship band at the church we have been attending."

Jonathan reached out his hand and firmly grasped Mark's, "Hi sir, nice to meet you."

"Jonathan, this is my brother Mark." Sophie gestured to her brother.

"Oh yes, Sophie told me about you," Jonathan said with a friendly smile.

Mark didn't respond right away as if he was surveying a potential threat. He wasn't sure how Jonathan knew about him before he knew about Jonathan. He wanted to push Sophie to meet new guys but he also wasn't planning on a sneak attack.

"Nice to meet you," was all Mark was able to muster up with this surprise attack. Sophie and Jonathan exchanged pleasantries and agreed to meet up again on Sunday.

As Jonathan pulled away with his window down, he shouted, "Good luck tonight!" in Sophie's direction. Mark spun to face Sophie head on as clearly she had confided in this strange man so this wasn't a freak encounter of a townie giving a ride.

Sophie couldn't help but grin from ear to ear. Maybe it's the fact she finally has friends she can fully confide in or maybe it's something more. Sophie wouldn't let herself ponder any further fantasies with Jonathan. He was a lot younger than her and she came with a lot of baggage that she didn't need to burden him with.

When Jonathan was out of view Mark wrapped one arm around his little sister.

"Something you want to tell me?" Mark said with a smirk.

Sophie shoved him and laughed. "Stop it! He is just a friend. Now hand over your keys and I need the address."

"Only because you need to leave now, I will not make you squirm with an interrogation."

Sophie grabbed her brother's keys as she plugged in the address into her iPhone.

****

Thankfully Sophie had a 2 hour drive back to the trailer to process all of her time with her mother. She stayed later than she had intended but she also had not seen her mother in two years.

The spiritual retreat was in the middle of the woods and the fire pits provided the only light. There was no cell phone signal which didn't make much of a difference anyways since Alona didn't own one. Alona believed the government listened in on the smart phones and the radiation from carrying them would cause cancer.

She was relieved at first to finally find her mother but became immediately thankful Phoebe did not accompany her. Her mother sat amongst a group of naked individuals in a circle chanting something Sophie didn't understand nor care to understand. The circle broke and Alona covered herself in a white fluffy robe, more for Sophie's comfort than anything.

Talking to Alona was mentally exhausting. She dominated the entire conversation as she jumped from one subject to another. Some of her pearls of wisdom for Sophie was to focus on a polyamorous relationship next time. That she needed to open her chakra through more sexual exploration.

Sophie tried to steer clear of any religious conversations so they didn't butt-heads. Alona was thrilled to learn that Phoebe was taken out of the school system and "free of governmental involvement" in her education. Little did she realize Sophie was just teaching her from the government curriculum provided.