Ch 23: The Adventure

Sophie had her feet propped up on his dashboard as she looked out the window. Just miles and miles of open fields. It was peaceful and serene. The window was down and if a tear escaped it was immediately dried by the windy impact.

Chace was in a rush; they had to get to their destination before sunset. They hit a gravel stretch of a long driveway that led to a weathered barn. Chace unclicked his seat belt. Sophie was confused as to why the urgent destination was an unknown person's barn.

Chace turned off the ignition, took the keys out, and opened the door when he felt the electric grip of Sophie's hand around his arm. Her soft skin over his hairy rough arm.

In a whispered tone, afraid of being discovered Sophie asked, " Where are we? Is it safe to be here?"

Sophie knew how country folk could be. Nicest people ever if you were INVITED on to their property. They didn't take kindly to strangers on their land.

Chace held back a laugh and settled for a smirk. It's fine. Lets just say I am in with the owners. Chace would explain everything at another time but today wasn't about him but Sophie. Chace got out and Sophie followed. The barn door was latched and locked. Chace grabbed his keys, fiddled for a moment before he successfully unlocked the lock. Sophie's eyes grew wide as it seemed this was a place he was familiar with.

Why did Chace have keys to this barn? He probably used his celebrity status to get access to this person's property. She started to realize there was a lot about Chace that she didn't know.

He rolled the door open allowing the barn smell to escape. Sophie was no stranger to the country, although it had been decades.

Chace walked in like a man in his element. He was on a mission. He grabbed a saddle and placed it on one horse strapping effortlessly into place. Sophie stood in awe watching him swiftly place it on before grabbing another saddle. He carefully selected another horse and placed a saddle on that one.

"Alright, have you ever ridden a horse before?" Chace inquired.

He asks her that now?! Not before they take this trek out here. The nerve of him was astounding. Sophie refused to give him the satisfaction of a positive attitude when he basically ripped her from her pity party.

"Um once or twice. It was a long time ago though." Sophie said rigidly.

"I figured, that's why I chose Margaret for you." He gave the horse a loving pat, "She is gentle and patient."

Sophie furrowed her eyebrows that Chace presumed he knew her. He wasn't wrong but the presumption of it annoyed her anyways.

Chace held out his hand, "Come here I'll help you get on."

Sophie wasn't one who was willing to accept defeat so quickly.

" I don't need your help." Head held high she grabbed the horn of the saddle and attempted to hoist herself on top of the horse.

Chace just shook his head as he anticipated this reaction from her. Why did she have to be so difficult all the time? It wasn't a weakness to accept help.

The first attempt didn't go so well for Sophie but she wasn't done trying yet. She attempted one more time with her foot in the stirrup but she lost her footing and started to fall backwards. Out of reflex Chace grabbed her butt and pushed her up on the saddle instead of the floor.

Sophie whipped her head around and gave him a scathing look for the indecent grabby hands Chace assaulted her behind with.

He put his hands in the air, surrendering, "It was an honest mistake, just didn't want you to fall." He said as he shook his head and held back a smirk.