Chapter 5 - Chace

Sophie pulled up to the school and several cop cars were already there. This was so out of character for Phoebe. Sophie knows she wanted to do that movie audition but she wouldn't pull something like this over that. Would she?
The police saw Sophie's panic stricken face and escorted her to the office where she was greeted by Phoebe's teacher. She was wiping tears away holding up a flyer.

"I am truly sorry! I didn't realize this would impact her so much," the teacher said through a shaky voice .

Confused, Sophie looked at the flyer and realized today was supposed to be a father-daughter tea party in her class room. Up till now, Phoebe hadn't seemed to be too affected by her dad's absence. Sophie assumed she took his death so well because she was so young.
Sophie instinctively thinks she might know where Phoebe is if this was what it was truly about. Getting back into her car she headed a street over to a coffee shop.

When Phoebe's Dad was alive he would take her to a local coffee shop  before preschool drop-off. He would grab a cup of coffee and Phoebe would grab a breakfast treat. He would sit with her while she finished her breakfast asking her questions about her impending day. It was their special time together.

Sophie got out of her car and spotted Phoebe's infamous strawberry blonde hair at a patio table. She had an untouched muffin on the table her legs swinging unable to reach the cement. Sophie let out a sigh of relief. She motioned to the cops that it was her and that their presence was no longer needed.

Sophie took the empty seat across from Phoebe, breaking her out of her trance. Phoebe looked up and her expression turned to panic.

"I am not mad, I was just really scared," Sophie said reassuringly as she placed a gentle hand on top of her daughters'. Laying into her right now would not help Sophie figure out why she pulled such a stunt.

"I am sorry mom," she began to sob."I just couldn't be around all the happy dads and daughters while I have no one."

Phoebe had to know that she was not alone, she had Sophie, but that was not the point she was making. Sophie began to realize that she had been so deep in her own sorrow that she hadn't noticed the brave face her own daughter was putting on.

"Why didn't you tell me about this father daughter tea thing? I would have let you stay home with a sitter. Or maybe Uncle Mark could have gone."

" Because, because you are already so sad all the time I thought it would make you more sad if you knew I was," she let one tear escape as it rolled down her freckled cheek.
Just like that Sophie felt crushed. How had she missed this? If she was a better mom she would have noticed.

Sophie opened her arms and motioned for Phoebe to come sit on her lap, to which she obliged.

"I know I am sad and it won't always be like this. I am sorry. Can you forgive me?" Sophie asked stroking Phoebe's hair.

Through her tears Phoebe let out a giggle.

"I think it's funny that I skipped school and yet you apologize to me."

Sophie raised an eyebrow seeing her wild child reemerging. She embraced her tighter relishing this fleeting moment.

"Mom, I know I shouldn't ask this. I know I shouldn't especially with what I just did but.......can I please try out for that movie ?"

"Phoebe we already discussed this and this is absolutely the worst timing. Why do you want it anyways? You would miss school and your friends."

"But I would have YOU and Uncle Mark all to myself," she pleaded.