Ch. 07: The Henderson Ball

"Seeking the Niceties of Marriage", Ch. 07: The Henderson Ball,
May 29, 2021 by Gratiana Lovelace (Post #1385) 

(An original Regency Romance story copyrighted by Gratiana Lovelace, 2021; All rights reserved) [(1) story cover above left]

[Illustrations: I cast my stories as I write them. So from time to time, I will illustrate my story with actors and such, including: Richard Armitage as Lord Edward Carlisle, Daniela Denby-Ashe as Lady Emily Creighton, Blake Ritson as Lord Kittredge Wells, Polly Walker as Lady Patience Creighton, Bill Nighy as Lord Nigel Creighton the Earl of Stoke, and others as noted.]

[Author's Note: This original Regency romance is a work of fiction, and as such, any character names, scenes or other descriptions were made at the creative discretion of this author. And this is a gentle romance (G to PG-13), but with some frank discussions about love and marriage put to humorous effect. This is my disclaimer.]

Ch. 7: The Henderson Ball

To aver that Lady Emily Creighton is nervous as she and her family ride in their enclosed carriage Friday night to the Henderson Ball, would be a vast understatement. She had not been able to convince her cousin Lord Kittredge Wells of the unsuitability of the bosom revealing gown that he had selected for her to wear. Nor would Lord Wells allow its alteration for some discreet lace or tulle coverings across her bosoms.

So Lady Emily not only feels that her gown is scandalous, but that she is likely to fall ill from the amount of her chest skin being revealed tonight causing her to contract pneumonia. Though it is true that she is baring no more cleavage than any other lady of her acquaintance—with charms as ample as her own. It is just that Lady Emily is shy--except her bosoms on display tonight seem to belie that notion.

As Lord Edward Carlisle rides in his own private carriage to the Henderson Ball, he has much on his mind. Not the least of which is the growing attractiveness of one Lady Emily Creighton. The eyebrow surgery that his best friend and her cousin Lord Kittredge Wells performed to create two perfectly arched eyebrows for Lady Emily transformed her countenance into one of delicate beauty. And in Lord Edward's mind, far too many gentlemen are taking notice of her beauty--namely Reynolds and Wentworth whom he and Lady Emily happened to meet on their carriage ride yesterday.

And Lord Edward is kicking himself for not offering to bring Lady Emily with him tonight—or at least that he join them in their carriage. She could be already at the Henderson Ball--and beset with all manner of unsuitable suitors, including the aforementioned Reynolds and Wentworth. Lord Edward has nothing particularly against those two gentlemen, other than that they are marital competition for him with Lady Emily. And a gentleman—such as Lord Edward Carlisle—is never so much more interested in a lady when he has competition for her.

So as soon as Lord Edward arrives and looks around the elegantly appointed Henderson Ballroom--with ivory silk window drapes, chandeliers glowing from the expensive bees wax candles, and the elegant lords and ladies in attendance--he spies Lady Emily surrounded by a flock of gentlemen--including Sir Joshua Reynolds and Major Palmer Wentworth—her erstwhile future dance partners. Then he notices his best friend Lord Kittredge Wells--Lady Emily's cousin--and he walks over to him.

Lord Edward: "Kitt! Do my eyes deceive me, or is Lady Emily suddenly the focus of every males' attention tonight?" I ask incredulously.

Lord Kittredge: "It is a triumph! Dear, sweet, shy, and unassuming Emmy is the belle of the ball!"

Lord Edward smiles indulgently at his friend Lord Kitt. Then the sea of men part for a few moments and he catches of glimpse of the very beautiful Lady Emily--and her bosoms in her revealing gown [(2) above middle left]. Lady Emily is a vision, a goddess, and the woman whom he wants in his bed, right now. Lord Edward's masculine nature—as Lord Kittredge Wells so euphemistically refers to it—is definitely attuned to Lady Emily's feminine allure. And Lord Edward decides to stake his claim to the lady and he strides over to Lady Emily and her bevy of admirers.