Ch. 22: Christmas Blessings, Part 1

"Seeking the Niceties of Marriage", Ch. 22: Christmas Blessings, Part 1,by Gratiana Lovelace, November 13, 2021 (Post #1424)

(An original Regency Romance story copyrighted by Gratiana Lovelace, 2021; All rights reserved);   [(1) story cover above left]

[Illustrations: I cast my stories as I write them. So from time to time, I will illustrate my story with actors and such, including: Richard Armitage as Lord Edward Carlisle, Daniela Denby-Ashe as Lady Emily Creighton Carlisle, Blake Ritson as Lord Kittredge Wells, Polly Walker as Lady Patience Creighton the Countess of Stoke, Bill Nighy as Lord Nigel Creighton the Earl of Stoke, Christina Cole as Lady Cecily Englewood Wells, and others as noted.]

[Author's Note: This original Regency romance is a work of fiction, and as such, any character names, scenes or other descriptions were written at the creative discretion of this author. And this is a gentle and tender romance (G to PG-13), but with some frank discussions about love and marriage put to humorous effect. This is my disclaimer.]

Ch. 22: Christmas Blessings, Part 1

Lord Edward Carlisle hoping that his young and very large with child wife Lady Emily does not stress with the two sets of family visitors to their home this December 24th of their first Christmas together as husband and wife, he finds that their London Townhouse staff has it all under control. For as soon as the staff found out seven months ago that Lady Emily was to give Lord Edward his first child and hoped for heir, they have been entirely helpful and agreeable to her, their new mistress. And he finds that even the three baby nurses and midwife that Lady Emily recently engaged are welcome additions to their household—and not bothersome nor vexing to him as Lady Emily's husband.

So Lord Edward and Lady Emily enjoy brief afternoon visits by her sisters, their husbands, and their one nephew the three year old Robert Nigel and his cousin their one niece the 18 month old Patty (named Patience for her Grandmama Lady Patience Creighton). The children are delightful and well mannered, considering their young ages. Though with the little ones curious to see and to touch everything that is new to them, Lord Edward realizes the necessity of their having placed fragile objects quite above their ability to reach them. This sage advice-- given to them by their midwife Mrs. Minton--saved several [heirloom] ceramic figurines from being broken. And more importantly, saved the children from possibly getting cut from any broken objects.

Of course, Lady Emily received with equanimity the news that each of her sisters would also [each] welcome another child in the [Summer of the] new year. The number of children one has is not a competition. Though Lady Emily is eager to have a houseful of children to love and to nurture—which Lord Edward will happily help her in achieving.

But for now, the elated parents to be in Lord Edward and Lady Emily [Carlisle] concentrate upon just their first baby being born sometime in the next two weeks—and if a boy, he will be the [Viscount in waiting] to his Papa Lord Edward. Though regarding the two weeks estimate, Mrs. Minton the midwife has said that first babies can come late, rather than [early]—since it is clear that with Lady Emily being nine months with child, there was no anticipation of their wedding vows between Lord Edward and Lady Emily. Though who is to say when a baby wishes to be born. And with Lady Emily's with child condition on her small petite frame having grown quite large, Mrs. Minton is ever watchful of her Ladyships' [pregnancy progress].

So blessedly, Christmas Eve is spent quietly by just the young wedded couple of Lord Edward and Lady Emily at their Carlisle's London Townhouse—no braving the ice and snow to go to church for them. Instead, they read passages of Jesus' birthing story from the bible to each other, then fall asleep dreaming of their own little one soon to be born—with each of their hands resting lightly upon Lady Emily's stomach, where their baby sleeps and grows.

***