Ch. 15: A Lady Intrigues Lord Kitt

"Seeking the Niceties of Marriage", Ch. 15: A Lady Intrigues Lord Kitt,

July 18, 2021 by Gratiana Lovelace (Post#1399) 
(An original Regency Romance story copyrighted by Gratiana Lovelace, 2021; All rights reserved); [(1) story cover below left]

[Illustrations: I cast my stories as I write them. So from time to time, I will illustrate my story with actors and such, including: Richard Armitage as Lord Edward Carlisle, Daniela Denby-Ashe as Lady Emily Creighton Carlisle, Blake Ritson as Lord Kittredge Wells, Polly Walker as Lady Patience Creighton, Bill Nighy as Lord Nigel Creighton the Earl of Stoke, Christina Cole as Lady Cecily Englewood, and others as noted.]

[Author's Note: This original Regency romance is a work of fiction, and as such, any character names, scenes or other descriptions were written at the creative discretion of this author. And this is a gentle and tender romance (G to PG-13), but with some frank discussions about love and marriage put to humorous effect. This is my disclaimer.]

Ch. 15: A Lady Intrigues Lord Kitt

While still at the Gosford-Withers wedding celebration this later Saturday afternoon, and with his wife Lady Emily Carlisle chatting pleasantly with her sisters about their young children, Lord Edward Carlisle takes himself off for him to ostensibly visit the Men's Lounge, but really for him to locate his lifelong best friend Lord Kittredge Wells. For Lord Edward has noticed something about Lord Kitt's [unsettledmood at the wedding reception.

Lord Edward: "Kitt?" Lord Edward asks wryly as he sidles up to his long time best friend Lord Kitt [(2) right]. "You are positively transfixed! I have never seen your gaze so focused upon a lady. What has you so engrossed about her? Are her dress decorations gauche or is her feathered hair ornamentation preposterously large?"

Lord Edward teases as he also gazes at the lady, who now also gazes at the two men.

Lord Kittredge: "Hmmm? Not in the least." Lord Edward stares at him, waiting for an answer. "Well, if you must know, what do you think of her, Edward? The petite blond lady in cream silk organza sitting in Spinster's Row." Lord Kittredge clarifies as he regally tilts his head toward the petite and exquisitely lovely youngish lady sitting with the other spinsters [(3) right]—as if Lord Edward had not already guessed to which lady Lord Kittredge was referring.

Lord Edward: "You are interested in a lady?" Lord Edward asks incredulously. He has never heard Lord Kittredge even mention ladies, much—except to disdain them for himself and therefore eschewing marriage, for very logical reasons. So Lord Edward can be allowed his surprise at his friend's seeming interest in one of them, ladies, that is. "Hmmm. I do not know whom she is?"

Lord Kittredge: "She is Lady Cecily Englewood, the Duke of Marshbanks youngest daughter. A pretty little thing, do you not think, Edward?" Lord Kittredge smiles at his friend Lord Edward.

Yet another kind remark about a lady by Lord Kittredge leaves Lord Edward astonished.

Lord Edward: He takes a sip of his unspirited punch to have a moment to formulate an answer. "Ah, Then I am surprised that she has not wed—what with her lineage and possibly high dowry."

Lord Kittredge: "Exactly!" He nods, with a knowing air of understanding. Yet that understanding is not patently obvious to his friend.

Lord Edward: "Kitt, I think you will have to clarify for me your interest in the lady." Then a thought occurs to him. "I say old chap, after the success of my and Lady Emily's marriage, are you matchmaking again?"