Ch. 16: Leave it to the ladies

"Seeking the Niceties of Marriage", Ch. 16: Leave it to the ladies, by Gratiana Lovelace, August 02, 2021 (Post#1403) 

(An original Regency Romance story copyrighted by Gratiana Lovelace, 2021; All rights reserved);   [(1) story cover below left]

[Illustrations: I cast my stories as I write them. So from time to time, I will illustrate my story with actors and such, including: Richard Armitage as Lord Edward Carlisle, Daniela Denby-Ashe as Lady Emily Creighton Carlisle, Blake Ritson as Lord Kittredge Wells, Polly Walker as Lady Patience Creighton, Bill Nighy as Lord Nigel Creighton the Earl of Stoke, Christina Cole as Lady Cecily Englewood, and others as noted.]

[Author's Note: This original Regency romance is a work of fiction, and as such, any character names, scenes or other descriptions were written at the creative discretion of this author. And this is a gentle and tender romance (G to PG-13), but with some frank discussions about love and marriage put to humorous effect. This is my disclaimer.]

Ch. 16: Leave it to the ladies

Almost as soon as the Duchess of Marshbanks learns that her youngest daughter Lady Cecily Englewood is likely soon to be affianced—and to a new young Earl with also a Baronial title—that noble Mama launches into raptures of bliss that quite exceed her sentiments upon the night that her dear Lady Cecily was conceived. Her husband the Duke [of] Marshbanks [bears] her effusive joy with resignation and a small smile. Though he would not let anyone see him smiling.

His Grace the Duke of Marshbanks plans to put this new Earl of Fielding, Lord Kittredge Wells to the test and [in his place] starting Monday—just as he had done with his other two sons-in-law.  A daughter is a precious gift, and [the] Duke [of[ Marshbanks plans to ensure that giving her hand in marriage will bestow happiness upon her—especially since Lady Cecily has been so against even entertaining the notion of her marrying anyone.

Though their Graces cannot account for the turnabout in their daughter Lady Cecily's views, they are delighted and relieved. For a lady in their society does not have her own legal standing, and therefore she needs the protection of a husband. And in fairness to the ladies, one might say that for a gentleman in their society, gaining a good and proper wife can be the making of him.

So bright and early this Sunday morning after the momentous events of Lord Kittredge Wells' and Lady Cecily Englewood's understanding that developed regarding their mutual benefit in marrying each other, while they were still at the Gosford-Withers wedding reception last evening, Lord Wells escorts his parents to church. With his parents also retaining their own astonishment that their youngest son Lord Kittredge has found a lady whom he wants to [marry]. And the fact that their son's intended Lady Cecily Englewood is a Duke's daughter, is the proverbial icing upon the wedding cake.

Lord Edward and Lady Emily Carlisle will also be present at the same Sunday morning worship services. And providentially, they are still yet to look forward to her parents Lord and Lady Creighton returning from Paris in a few weeks. Though Emily would wager her new bonnet that her Mama Lady Creighton will insist upon returning to London as soon as news reaches her about her beloved nephew Lord Kittredge Wells likely to becom[ing] affianced—and with a Duke's daughter, no less, in Lady Cecily Englewood.   Indeed, upon her return, Lady Patience Creighton will [certainly] try everyone else's [patience] with her suggestions for Lord Wells wedding planning arrangements. Though as the intended bride groom, Lord Kittredge will likely have only need to focus upon his wedding attire and being certain to show up.

And though each family sit[s] in their own pew boxes—with church services being as stratified an affair as any other event in society—they still nod cordially at each other before the worship service begins. And Lady Emily delights in noticing the small smiles that her cousin Lord Kittredge exchanges with his likely intended Lady Cecily. Lady Emily just is not privy to the understanding reached between Lord Kittredge and Lady Cecily—of the particulars regarding their mutually hoped for [companionable] marriage, with no romance involved. Nor has Lord Kittredge divulged to his lifelong best friend, and now cousin by marriage Lord Edward Carlisle the nature of his hoped for marriage to Lady Cecily.