Ch. 24: Christmas Blessings, Part 3

"Seeking the Niceties of Marriage",
Ch. 24: Christmas Blessings, Part 3, 
by Gratiana Lovelace,
December 24, 2021 (Post #1434) 

(An original Regency Romance story copyrighted by Gratiana Lovelace, 2021; All rights reserved);  [(1) story cover, above left]  

[Illustrations: I cast my stories as I write them. So from time to time, I will illustrate my story with actors and such, including: Richard Armitage as Lord Edward Carlisle, Daniela Denby-Ashe as Lady Emily Creighton Carlisle, Blake Ritson as Lord Kittredge Wells, Polly Walker as Lady Patience Creighton the Countess of Stoke, Bill Nighy as Lord Nigel Creighton the Earl of Stoke, Christina Cole as Lady Cecily Englewood Wells, and others as noted.]

[Author's Note: This original Regency romance is a work of fiction, and as such, any character names, scenes or other descriptions were written at the creative discretion of this author. And this is a gentle and tender romance (G to PG-13), but with some frank discussions about love and marriage put to humorous effect. This is my disclaimer.]

Ch. 24: Christmas Blessings, Part 3

As Lord Edward whisks his very pregnant and soon to birth their first child wife Lady Emily up the stairs to their bed chamber around 4:30pm on Christmas Day, her parents Lord and Lady Creighton and her cousins Lord and Lady Wells follow them.

Lady Emily: "I'm so sorry about the mess I made, when my...." There she stops, too embarrassed to continue.

Lord Edward: "When your water broke?" She nods sheepishly. "Not to worry My Darling. You are having our baby! That is more important that worrying about any mess." He replies excitedly.

And Lord Edward thinks that at least, his wife leaked before she had time to sit on his lap for him to rock in her rocking chair gift [from] her parents.

Lady Creighton: "Oh my yes, Dearest Emily! How exciting! You will gift us with our third grandchild!" She smiles wistfully.

When the family cavalcade reaches Lord Edward's and Lady Emily's bedchamber, Mrs. Minton and her Nurse Assistants staff are waiting for them. And she takes charge.

Mrs. Minton: "Lord Carlisle, please set Lady Carlisle upon her feet next to the bed. Thank you. Now everyone please remove yourselves so [that] we may make her ladyship comfortable."

The family look like they might revolt at the notion of leaving Lady Emily into Mrs. Minton's charge.

Lady Emily: "Mrs. Minton, May my Mama Lady Creighton and [my cousin] Lady Cecily stay?"

Mrs. Minton: "As you wish, Madam." She nods her head deferentially. You see, Mrs. Minton's way is to ask for more than she wants, then her relenting to what she will allow anyway. She finds noble persons are so much easier to manage if they think they are getting their way.

The Nursing Assistants Greta and Daisy swiftly help Lady Emily disrobe down to her camisole and soaked drawers and petticoats behind a changing screen.

Lady Emily: "My poor petticoats are ruined!" She wails. Though she is grateful that her satin gown was not similarly doused with the birthing fluids.

Mrs. Minton: "Nay, MiLady. Your petticoats will wash out. Now, be sure to leave off your drawers from down below.

Lady Emily: "Oh, but might I not have a fresh pair of drawers, until it is absolutely necessary that I not?" She asks hopefully. Though Lady Emily has become accustomed to sleeping unclothed with her husband, she will feel too embarrassed to do so with her family—even if they are her Mama and her cousin Lady Cecily.