fifty three: proditio

proditio: betrayal, treachery, treason

———

DRACO was numb all over.

He hadn't been able to form a single proper thought—not since he'd killed those children. He'd barely made it out of that room without collapsing—and Pansy had been the one to wrap her arm around his torso and help him back to her place.

He'd stayed there for the night— although he didn't remember most of it. She'd fed him and set up space for him to sleep on her sofa but he hadn't been able to even close his eyes.

Everytime he did, all he saw was ten terrified faces staring up at him.

"Malfoy, do something!"

Draco was jerked out of his thoughts, coming back to Orion's library. Carolyn was yelling at him and Pansy—Where was Pansy?

It took him a moment for it to sink in—that Pansy had moved from his side and was pressing the tip of her wand under Orion's chin, her gaze murderous.

"Are you fucking insane?" she hissed at him, her hand trembling. "Do you have a fucking death sentence?"

Orion yanked his head away from her, his glare as deadly as hers. "Not everyone is okay with killing innocent people, Parkinson."

"Traitor," she snarled—and that got Draco moving, got him stepping into the library.

"Pansy," he said, his voice rough. "Leave him alone."

"What? He turned, Draco. He's helping them." She jerked her head towards where Elara and Carolyn stood, both of them wide-eyed and frozen.

Draco gritted his teeth. "That's Elara, Pansy."

She stiffened but didn't even take a look in Elara's direction. "It's not worth it. If the Dark Lord finds out we let them go—"

The fear and dread in her voice was evident—and Draco knew that was the only thing stopping her from throwing herself into Elara's arms. Giving in would mean turning traitor—and Pansy had always been the type to keep her head down and her mouth shut to make sure her and her loved ones survived the war. After her younger brother had been killed, she'd never dared step a foot out of line.

"Pansy," he repeated, quietly. "Lower your wand."

She didn't move, although her hand quivered where it jabbed her wand into Orion's chin. "Why? So you can take the credit for bringing them in to the Dark Lord?"

So she still hadn't put it together then.

"No," he answered, one hand held out as he took a step towards her. "Let's not jump to conclusions. Just lower your wand."