sixty six: protegere

protegere: to protect, to defend, to save

———

ELARA would've collapsed to her knees if Draco hadn't reached out, one arm belting around her back.

For a long moment, they just stared at each other, barely daring to breathe, their eyes locked. She could feel his heart thundering against her palm.

And when she finally turned her head to look at Stuart, he had a perplexed expression on his face, looking between both her and Draco. "Is everything...okay?"

Elara's voice was hoarse. "Did you say—Amelia?"

Stuart nodded, slowly and Draco released a long breath, muscles relaxing in his shoulders.

Elara found tears stinging her eyes herself and again, she nearly sank to the floor. Draco kept her up, one hand sliding to the back of her head, pressing her face into his shirt as she cried.

"Wh—Elara, are you—What did I say?" Stuart sounded anxious and she tried to shake her head but couldn't find it in her to do anything but sob into Draco.

"We thought she was dead," Draco said, his voice rough. "We thought—"

He didn't finish the sentence and she felt his throat constrict around a swallow as he laid his cheek on top of her head, smoothing back her hair.

Elara couldn't stop her tears, couldn't stop her shoulders from shaking. Amelia was alive. She was okay. She was with McGonagall and she sent her love.

The feeling that bloomed in Elara's chest was such a beautiful one, it made her cry harder.

"Come on," Draco murmured against her hair. "Let's get you upstairs."

It was a blur—how he picked her up and took her upstairs, past Orion and Magda sitting together on the sofa. Elara didn't even want to think of the guilt she felt about Magda and pushed that thought away as Draco ascended the staircase.

He shut their bedroom door behind him and finally set her down, never letting go of her. Instead, he slid both hands to tangle in her hair and pressed a long, lingering kiss to her forehead.

"She's okay," he whispered, sounding choked up himself and she wondered if he'd brought them upstairs more for his sake than hers. "Amelia is okay."

His voice made Elara look up from his chest, her face wet and her pulse racing. Her eyes met his and she felt that familiar feeling of safety and home settle through her at the sight of those silver eyes.

Pushing onto her tiptoes, she pulled him down and kissed him, her fingers twisting into his hair and he sighed against her mouth, hands sliding down her spine.

"She's okay," Elara said as his thumb wiped tears from her face. "Everything's okay."

Again, Draco let out a shuddering breath and then stepped back, hands falling from her. "I should talk to Orion—before he leaves."