seventy three: phasma

phasma: ghost, phantom, specter

———

DRACO was never coming back.

He stared up at Hogwarts—the place where it had all begun—and wished Elara could be with him. Wished he could take her up to the Astronomy Tower and sit with her there like they used to. Wished he could take comfort from her in these last moments.

The castle looked the same. He could've been a first year gazing up at it. It hadn't changed since the first time he'd laid eyes on it.

Despite the war, despite the turmoil, despite everything that tried to bring it down, Hogwarts stood tall and proud, sunlight glinting off the turrets.

The doors opened on their own, revealing the large corridor stretching out before him. Still lined with portraits and suits of armour. Every step was a step into the past—a chapter he'd long ended.

And everywhere, the ghosts of his childhood welcomed him home.

Adolescent laughter echoed off the archways peering down at him. The stones beneath his feet seemed to vibrate with the force of their pounding footsteps as he and Pansy raced to the end, trying to see who was faster. The walls seemed to glisten with the blood that had poured out of Theo's nose when Draco had once shoved him too hard in third year. The suit of armour Blaise had collided with when trying to escape one of Pansy's painful pinches stared back at Draco as he passed it.

The alcoves and crevices where he'd often pull Elara to sneak in a few kisses before classes. The alcove where he'd first had her, hidden behind a tapestry. The first time he'd gotten a taste of her and known he'd never be able to go back.

The corridor where she'd dueled Lucius—and by some stroke of luck, won. Where he'd seen her for the last time before she went up to the Astronomy Tower and killed the Death Eaters. Before everything had descended into further chaos.

He passed the library. Tried not to think of how many times he'd poured over books within those walls, hissing at Theo and Pansy to shut up. Tried not to think of how he'd situate himself in the perfect place to watch Elara in her corner as she flipped through page after page, brows furrowed in concentration. He'd admire the long dark curls of her hair splayed over her shoulders and wonder what it would feel like to wrap one around his finger.

He passed the Great Hall. Tried not to think of how many times he'd walked through those doors with his friends, laughing their heads off. Tried not to think of sneering at Potter as he passed him or sneaking looks at Elara at the Ravenclaw table. Of stuffing his stomach until he couldn't breathe, competing with Blaise to see who could eat more.

He passed the courtyard that they'd lazed in during the warmer months, his head in Pansy's lap as he drew shapes with his wand in the sky. Where Theo would sneak them treats from the Hufflepuff girl he was meeting up with in the kitchens.