sixty three: quiescere

quiescere: to rest, to sleep, to repose

———

DRACO watched her slip into one of his t-shirts, her hair still wet from the shower.

He was buttoning up his own shirt, water droplets still lingering on his skin, his eyes fixed on Elara.

She looked nervous—almost scared. She was gnawing on the inside of her cheek already, dark eyes on the floor as she brushed out her hair with quick strokes.

"It'll be okay," he said quietly, following her movements as she picked lint off her pajama pants and then set the hairbrush down on the dresser. Her hands were trembling. "Elara."

She looked up, distracted, her gaze far-off and offered him a weak smile. "There's so much that could go wrong."

"Worrying about it isn't going to make it go right," he reminded her, finishing with his shirt.

"I know," she whispered, already looking forlorn.

With a sigh, he stepped forward and slid both hands to rest on the sides of her neck, thumbs pressing under her jaw to tilt her head up. "You're not alone. If anything goes wrong, I'm right there. You know I'll take care of you."

Her smile was a little more genuine this time. "I know. You always do."

She wrapped her arms around his torso and laid her head against his chest, closing her eyes and he reciprocated by pressing his cheek to the top of her head, hands sliding up and down her spine.

He only let go of her once she stepped back herself—and even that was with pure reluctance. He liked holding her. He hated letting her go.

"Let's go then." She took a deep breath, tucking her hair behind her ears in a nervous motion before moving around him and heading for the door.

He followed, silently.

Freya sat on the armchair, looking as terrified as Elara. Her eyes followed Demetrius and Ron as they worked in the kitchen and then darted over to Hermione speaking with Val by the counter. Her hands kept twisting together in her lap, her long blond hair braided over her shoulder, her knee bouncing.

But when Elara stepped into the room with Draco right behind her, Freya immediately went rigid, eyes widening.

Elara stiffened similarly and Draco saw her shoulders heave, saw the trembling in her hands increase.

The room quietened, the air seeming to still, a stalemate on the verge of breaking. Even Draco found himself holding his breath.

And then Elara said, "Freya."

It was like a dam shattered and suddenly, the two sisters were rushing towards each other, colliding in something like a hug before they sank to the floor.