18

The smell overpowered my senses. My throat burned so bad, it was hard to speak. All I could do was hold my breath. My body was telling me to drink, but I forced myself not to, wanting to impress him.

The cup filled with warm blood, sat in my hands, as Carlisle stood close to me. Watching and waiting, seeing what I'm going to do next. If this is what Carlisle calls a "surprise test", well I'm sure as hell surprised.

I wasn't expecting Carlisle to give me another lesson, two weeks after I've met Aidan. The rest of the family (beside me, Carlisle, and Jake) were out hunting, so Carlisle thought it was a good idea to test me.

I just stood there, with the cup of blood, hardcore staring at it. I was holding the cup like it was a nuclear bomb, scared I might tick it off.

"Try to breathe." Carlisle said, "I know your throat will burn. The only way to learn to control yourself is to let it intoxicate you, but don't let it control you."

So, that is what I did. I started to breathe and my throat felt like it was legit on fire. I tried to control myself. With my spare hand, I gripped the bottom of my shirt.

I continued to stare at the blood in the cup, taking in the scent. The longer I stare at the blood, the less the flame became. That was when I started to take in deeper breathes.

I didn't know how long Carlisle and I stood in his office, but I stood there getting used to the smell, to where my throat was just a scratchy feeling.

I smiled, once the now cold blood didn't bother me. I looked back at Carlisle and he smiled, giving me a nod of approval.

"Good." Carlisle said, "See, Beatrice. You are able to learn how to control yourself. I will be doing more of these with you, until you are used to the smell of the warm blood bags."

"Okay." I said, "When will be the next lesson?"

"Tomorrow." Carlisle said.

"While everyone is still hunting?"

Carlisle nod his head, "Yes."

"Well it's nice to know when the next lesson will be, because today I was surprised and not prepared for the lesson." I said, handing Carlisle back the cup of blood. He took the blood and was heading to the kitchen.

"In the medical field, there are always surprises. Everything is always unexpected." Carlisle said, as he started to pour the blood down the drain. I hummed in reply. For some reason, him pouring the blood down the drain didn't bother me. Then Jake comes in the kitchen.

"Don't mind me. I'm just getting some chips." Jake said, as he went into a cabinet, pulling a bag of Hot Cheetos out.

"Those used to be my favorite, when I was human." I pouted. I sure do miss eating. That was when Jake opened the bag of chips and pulled out a chip, placing it in his mouth. He did all of that, as he kept eye contact with me.

"You ass." I laughed. Jake started to laugh, leaving the room.

"You wish you were me." He said. I rolled my eyes, turning back to Carlisle. He was starting to wash the cup that had blood in it.

"How long did it take you to ignore the blood, when you were training to be a doctor?" I asked.

Carlisle chuckled, "It took me nearly two centuries to not be phased by the sight and smell of blood." My mouth dropped. Two fucking centuries. Wow. Even the best of vampires, it takes years to perfect the art of resisting human blood.

"Wow." I said, "That's wild. So for two centuries you were learning how to resist the smell and everything from human blood. That shit is legit crazy tho."