Chapter °17°

The birds flew by the Zhi courtyard, on the entrance of the courtyard was Zhi Ruo eating breakfast and having tea. Ravel beside her refilling the cup from time to time. Both perked up when they heard footsteps comming to the courtyard.

"Leave," Zhi Ruo waved her hands.

"Yes master," and obediently, Ravel took all of the containers and left.

Only the tea cup was left, the faint herbal smell emitted from the cup. Zhi Ruo took her mask and put it on. The figure of the  maid bringing a tray of food was seen. Her body was trembling, but she didn't dare drop the food.

"This lowly nubi greets the first Xiaojie..." Loud as a whisper, the maid greeted.

"Stand up," without being told twice the maid stood up and sat down on the ground when Zhi Ruo pointed down. "Eat," it was like routine by the third time. With no will power left, the maid obediently ate the food that she brought.

Zhi Ruo sipped the tea as looked at the maid's appearance. There was eyebags under her eyes, her lips were pale, and she could see that the maid tried to hide it with red lipstick or tint. "what's with the commotion last night?" Zhi Ruo tentatively asked. The maid paused to answer.

"The warehouse was set ablaze last night," the maid slowly began. She stared at the food that was beautifully decorated with poison. " I did not hear anything, other than the fact that something important was at that warehouse. I- I think there would be shortage of food in these coming weeks due to that fire."

"Hmm."

"Ah co-concubine Liu Su Yang was livid when she heard that the warehouse was set ablaze. The concubine, and second concubine Liu Bai Pan is on bad terms for some unknown reasons, this nubi doesn't know much!" The maid suddenly paled. "First Xiaojie, the second concubine also sent me to tell a message." Trembling to her bones, the maid informed Zhi Ruo.

"She would like to visit first Xiaojie formally, and...she also wants to talk about something."

"Oh? What businesses does she want with me?" Hearing what the maid had said, she has a vague guess to what that concubine wants.

"I-i Don't know, nubi was only sent to tell the first Xiaojie this..." Helplessly the maid answered.

"Then. Go back and tell her to formally write a letter to me stating what she wants, also tell her to not waste my time." The tea had turned cold. "The letter should be personally handed by her, tut tut, the second concubine doesn't even have proper etiquette. Truly a very...." Zhi Ruo gazed upon the wide eyes of the maid. "Unique person!" She smiled, and ended sarcastically.

"This nubi will relay the message." The maid bowed and knowtowed once, before Zhi Ruo dismissed her.

____________________________________________

"-Is what the first Xiaojie said." The maid sat infront of a voluptuous woman who was dressed in bright green brocade.

The lady has intricately chiao mei (painted brows), and skin that was painted white. Her downward eyes was glinting with viciousness as she listened to what the maid had said.

"What do we do second concubine?" The maid timidly asked. She found that the second concubine, is less scarier than she was used to. Compared to Zhi Ruo, it was like comparing a tiger to a domestic kitten.

"I have showed kindness to her, and yet this is how she repays me? I may be new but it doesn't mean I don't see her situation." Liu Bai Pan gritted her teeth. "Now that Liu Su Yang is on the move, my position is gonna–" Liu Bai Pan doesn't even dare continue.