Chapter 38

"Pity how he thinks I don't know," a sinister smile draws itself on his lips. He gazed out from the massive window unto the courtyard where a young man held his golf club. With a trained eye and a posture of an experienced golfer, he swung his club. The ball flew to where it's supposed to be, falling straight into the hole. Aziel squinted from where he stood, trying to eye where the ball had landed.

"At least you moved to my favour." With a slow flick of a wrist, the ice from within the glass hit the corners of its confinement, inducing a sound that was like music to his ears. He hummed in appreciation, downing the brown liquid in one go. Standing up, he began to saunter out of the library, "My pawn has been moved. The game has officially begun. Elizabeth, it's your move."

~

Elizabeth placed her tea cup on the coffee table, back on its saucer with a clink. She watched as a specific file began to unravel itself on the screen of her laptop.

She sighed and crossed her arms, reclining back on her seat. She knew this day would come, it was inevitable. Yet she knew that this was going to be half of what she was bound to endure. Above all, she knew that her only daughter was going to start throwing questions, inevitable ones.

All her years, she's spent trying to keep her daughter in the dark. Yet she was also well aware that time would come that Rhianne will be asking questions and investigating it herself if she wasn't satisfied with the answers that she would provide her with. As much as Elizabeth tried to prepare herself for this, she knew she wasn't as ready as she deemed herself to be.

She watched as the files unraveled. Her pandora's box slowly being opened by none other that her sweet princess. Slowly, the files were skimmed through. Important, those were to Elizabeth. But she knew that those deemed little to no relevance to that certain somebody that was scrolling slowly through the entirety of it.

Her brow shot up as the screen scrolled passed a... folder.

And then she watched as the file closed itself, and all was left was Elizabeth staring at the password field.

She took a deep sigh and eyed the blue skies from outside their penthouse building. Standing up, she digested the beauty of the entire city accentuated with the beautiful weather. Yet no matter how stunning the city was, Elizabeth couldn't help the lingering memories that was laced with the endless streets and tall buildings, alongside the myriad of people sauntering passed and through the flying turbines up in the skies.

And it all began with the SFIT fire...

~

You reclined on your swivel chair, eyeing the password field with an emotion that you just couldn't fathom. The whirlwind of thoughts and anxieties slowly began to cloud your mind, wanting to drive you back to the lowest that you have ever been. Clasping the edge of your chair, you took deep breaths in hopes of trying to clear up your thoughts.

You hoped from that moment that your turmoil will subside for a bit but apparently, from all the labeled information that you saw— you knew it would take more than just your breathing exercises to stop you from drowning from your thoughts.

Your mother— she had labeled everything, all arranged properly, with complete notes holding documents and photographs. Files after files after files, you concluded, she took her time.

Half of you didn't want to pry into her business, yet the other half wanted you to know everything that she has kept from you.

You knew your mother, she has her reasons to leave you in the dark. Yet it was your choice that you didn't want to be hidden in the dark shadows of the secrets that she held— you wanted out. You wanted to know the reasons why this-so-called father of yours isn't even your biological sperm donor, or do you even wish to know why this same person even loathes you.