1 .⠀⠀ Ranboo not Reanna︐☆.

As Reanna stood in her room, in front of the reflecting mirror, she felt a pang of dysmorphia for her body, the way her hair reached the center of her back. Shaking any bitter thoughts from her head, she glared into the mirror. “I’m not Reanna. My name is Ranboo. And I am a boy.” Ranboo said with determination laced in his words, although that feeling left as soon as it came. He hated how his face was too feminine.

Sighing, Ranboo slipped on a saggy hoodie. He trotted over to his bed and plopped down onto the soft surface. His green, almost gray, eyes scanned his cluttered room of the foster home he temporarily resided in. In the far corner was his computer and art tablet. ‘I need to get my commissions back out.’ Ranboo thought to himself. Next to the desk was his guitar his old friend gave to him a while back.

He never learned how to play, so it sat in the corner collecting dust. Only a few feet next to the guitar was a bookcase with fairy lights and fake vines surrounding it. Right next to was the bed he sat on, and just above the bed was a transgender flag. Ranboo stared at it for a moment before looking beside his bed where some stuffed animals had been sat for almost a year. Ranboo was the oldest of everyone else in the foster home, anyone who was ever older than him either got adopted or kicked out because they turned 18.

Ranboo felt a pit form in his stomach at the thought of being kicked out. He had no family that he could recall to go to for a place to stay, nor any friends. And he hardly has any money, barely enough to get himself a coffee. Ranboo sighed and let himself fall back to his bed, staring up at the ceiling where glow in the dark stars had been placed a long time ago. He was 16 now and was placed in the home when he was only 7. He could just barely remember what his mom looked like. He heard a light knock at his door and he lifted his head. “Come in!” He called. The silver door knob turned until the wooden door opened.

There stood one of the caretakers, Mr. Loccs. He had a wrinkled face and almost a permanent frown carved onto his face. His eyes sagged with age and his head was balding, only a few strands of hair covered the shining skin below. His eyes were narrowed, the color of pine nettles glared at Ranboo. “Clean yourself up, Reanna. We have a client looking to adopt.” Mr. Loccs said, his voice rough and hoarse with age.

“Yes, Mr. Loccs.” Ranboo nodded. Hearing his deadname felt like he was being shot in the head. He wanted to curl up and die, or at least leave this hell hole for the first time ever really. Shaking his thoughts from his head, Ranboo got ready to meet this family, slipping a binder under his shirt. It squeezed his chest and lungs tightly to make it appear his chest was flat.

Once Ranboo confirmed his outfit, he opened his door and walked out. He navigated through the familiar halls, the light sage color showing how bland the place was. Ranboo followed Mr. Loccs to a room. It was a smaller room, with only a table in the center with one chair against the wall and two chairs across it. Ranboo sat down in the single chair and watched as two people came in, one being tall with slicked back brown hair and a suit and the other who was shorter, with fluffy dyed hair- the roots at the top of their head were starting to fade into a blonde, and it almost covered oddly blue eyes. They wore a baggy green button up long sleeved, though a part in the middle seemed to be messed up and was uneven.

If Ranboo knew better, the shorter almost looked like someone from an adult cartoon he’d seen a few times. The two sat in front of Ranboo, the man sitting with his back straight, but the child, he assumes, kicked their feet up onto the table and leaned back in their chair. “Tubbo, feet of the table. You weren't raised in a barn, use your manners.” The man scorned the younger. Tubbo shifted their legs back down to be planted on the ground. “Anyway. My name is Jonothan Schlatt, or just Schlatt.” The man started. “And this is my child, Tubbo.” Schlatt gestured towards the small person., who gave a simple and tense nod.

“Im…” ranboo hesitated for a moment before continuing, “I’m Reanna.” He managed to force out. Ranboo held out his hand to Schlatt and they shook hands. “So, tell me about yourself, Reanna? Hm- that is quite the unique name.” Schlatt hummed, leaning back slightly. Ranboo paused. “Well, I like to draw and play minecraft, I guess- I also like to garden and read and write.” Ranboo started, his eyes focusing on the pin on Tubbo’s collar. It was colored with Yellow, white, purple and black, with another pin below it saying ‘They/he’. Ranboo assumed Tubbo must be non-binary with the pins.

Blinking back into the moment, Ranboo turned back to Schlatt. “I’ve got a garden bed outside that my wife used to use quite often. She loved gardening.” He smiles, though sadness pooled in his eyes. Ranboo didn’t ask any questions about his wife. He only assumed they broke off. “Well, I also play some minecraft in my free time, and sometimes write. Are you working on any projects at all?” The man pushed the conversation. “Uh, Yeah, actually. I’m working on a story called Storm After peace. I’m 8 chapters in, though I can’t figure out how to push the plot.” Ranboo shrugged. “I can give you some tips later if you’d like.” Schlatt offers with a smile.

After about 30 minutes, Schlatt had stepped out of the room to speak with Mr. Loccs, so it was just Ranboo and Tubbo. “Your name isn't actually Reanna, is it?” Tubbo spoke after a moment of silence, moving hair from in front of their face. “Uhm- What do you mean-?” Ranboo swallowed. “I can see the strap of your binder on your shoulder.” Tubbo shrugs. “Ah- right. It’s Ranboo then.” Ranboo smiles, feeling as if he felt the pressure on his chest fly away, though it came back when Schlatt walked back in and sat down.

The man leaned forward and looked at Ranboo, his brown eyes intense. “Reanna, You’ve been here awhile, yes?” Ranboo nodded. “How long?” Schlatt pushed on. “Almost 9 years..” Schlatt nodded slowly, only leaning forward more. “I’m looking to adopt someone here today.” He started again. “And I was going for one of the oldest ones here. So, Reanna, would it be in your interest if we adopted you and took you home?” Ranboo felt his eyes widen and heart flutter in his chest. Tears of happiness and shock welled up in the corners of his orbitals. “I- yes, of course!” He nearly wept with overwhelming joy.

Schlatt was filling out papers now, legal things and that, and Ranboo was in his room, packing things that mean alot to him and his clothes. He carefully packed his computer and tablet, then took his guitar and gently placed it in the case before pulling at the zipper, sealing the wooden instrument in a protective cloth.

Putting the guitar next to his bag, he climbed onto his bed and took down his transgender flag, folding it up neatly before placing it into his backpack. Ranboo swung the bag onto his shoulders and put the single strap of the guitar case over his right shoulder. Stepping out of the room, a smile grew on his face. Finally, he was leaving this hell hole. And hopefully, things would only get better.

Walking down the steps of the building, his smile only grew larger. When he reached the ground floor, he saw Tubbo and Schlatt speaking with one of the workers, Ms. Nihachu. “Ah! Reanna! Are you ready to go?” Schlatt asked, his voice gleaming with excitement. “Yup!” Ranboo responded with the same amount of excitement. He followed the older outside and to their vehicle.

Giving one last glance to the building behind them, something welled in his chest. He was finally going to a place he can call home. Finally out of that lonely abode. Out of that hell.