the one that got away • jimin

WARNING; bittersweet, angsty(?), long chapter

PARK JIMIN
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

jimin sighed as he sat in his car, head slumped against his wheel. he couldn't believe he was actually doing this.

'who the hell willingly goes to their ex's wedding?' he thought to himself, lifting his head to look at the medium, well-decorated gift box that sat in his passenger seat.

it was still mind boggling to him that he even asked to be invited, and even more so that she actually followed through and sent an invitation.

his attention went to his phone when he heard it 'ding' it's familiar text-tone. it was a message from her sister, ushering him to hurry if he wanted to talk to the bride-to-be.

the bride that he wished was his.

he grabbed the box and his keys and, with a loud breath of air coming out of his mouth, got out of his car to head inside of the wedding hall. when he entered, he saw the familiar face of her sister. it always amazed him how alike they looked even though they were years apart. he remembered always joking and calling them twins just to bother the both of them.

"well look who finally got here! jimin, it's been so long!" stella happily gasped as she finally saw him, pulling him in for a small hug.

he smiled as he hugged her back. "yeah, it's been quite a long time."

stella let him go, "okay, we only have like, twenty minutes, so let's hurry up." she turned from him and rushed down the large hallway, ushering him to follow. he gripped the gift box tightly as he trailed, growing more nervous the further they went.

"were you surprised?" she suddenly asked through her fast movements, throwing jimin off at the question. "i—well, yeah. but i did ask to be invited..."

she silently nodded, showing no sign judgement to what he said, much to his relief, and asked no more questions as she hastily lead him to their destination: a large, wooden door with the words 'bride' written in bold letters.

she glanced at him again, eyes sad this time.

it made jimin swallow harshly, knowing that he was just a door away from his ex.

his first love.

the one he wanted to marry and start a family with.

the one he wanted to grow old with.

the one who was marrying someone else.

stella interrupted his thoughts with a soft voice. "we don't have much time."

jimin cleared his throat, loosening his, now suffocating, tie. he lifted his shaky hand and landed three loud knocks on the door.

"come in!" came that familiar voice.