13 - Rough and Tumble

*:.. o ..:*

Avery POV:

As I was idly scanning through crates of fruit in the kitchen, I instantly dropped the box when my ears were attacked by a thunderous crash that came from another room. The crate's lid snapped open, and the assorted fruits rolled in every direction of the tiled floor.

As a result of the shock from dropping the crate, I held both of my hands up beside my head in a defensive manner, as if someone was pointing a gun at me. My eyes were wide with fear, I turned around and almost screamed when I heard running footsteps approaching the entrance to the kitchen.

To my relief, and slight annoyance, it was only Luca who came rushing into the kitchen with his sword out and ready. When he saw that no one else was in here, the hostility in his eyes faded as he smiled at me, "You alright, Princess?"

I huffed and rolled my eyes, "You almost gave me a heart attack, bucket brain." I threw a random fruit from off of the floor at him.

He laughed and easily caught it in his free hand, before leisurely taking a bite out of it, "So, where's the fire?" He asked with his mouth full, referring to the loud crash that in all likelihood, everyone in the palace heard.

I shrugged, "How should I know? I was in here when it happened." I bent down and began picking up the fallen fruits, which I'll now have to throw away.

He tossed his own fruit in the waste bin and came over to help me pick up the rest that were on the cold floor. When we were done, I heard another slower pair of footsteps enter the kitchen.

Luca and I both shot our heads up at the same time, in fear that it could be some sort of perpetrator that may have caused the loud crash.

But it was only Aero, causing both of us to sigh in relief. Luca stood up, "Where have you been, man?"

Aero scowled harshly at Luca, as if he was some sort of parasite, "I've been trying to find (y/n). You know, since I'm her guard?" I wore a stunned expression at how passive aggressive he was being; for what reason, I didn't know. He's been so quiet and moody today and I have no clue why, it's so unlike his generally cheerful energy.

Luca blinked at his unanticipated response and chuckled, "Did someone spit in your coffee cake or something?"

Aero rolled his eyes and pushed past him, pulling out a map of the palace from his pocket, "No. Now let's just focus on finding (y/n)." He spread the scrolled map flat out on the table.

I rose an eyebrow over at Luca, asking with my expression what the deal was with our friend. He shrugged, telling me that he was just as lost as I was. We both silently walked over to stand beside Aero and look at the detailed map that was spread out on the large island table.

"I heard the crash." He began, and paused as his mind seemed to piece his next words carefully, "I also heard fast movements from up above. I think someone—most likely a criminal—is in the vents. For what reason, I'm not sure."

Luca's brows furrowed, "How could they be in the vents? Wouldn't all the air prevent them from moving around, or something?"

Aero sighed, "Not in this case. You're thinking of supply vents. Those are the vents where conditioned air goes from the air conditioner, travels through the ductwork and exits out the supply vents. This palace has exhaust vents. That means the exhaust air is deliberately removed from the building envelope and rejected to the environment. This building's ventilation systems are equipped with exhaust fans that work to draw air out of the buildings from strategic locations where low quality, moist or polluted air is likely to accumulate."