Chapter 26

"Fräulein Teresa. How lovely to see you again," Martha greeted warmly as we climbed out of the car.

"Thank you, Mr. Coulson, for driving us," I said.

"No problem, Tessa. Have a safe flight," he said, before turning around to head back to the academy. I embraced Martha briefly, waving my friends to follow. I was thankful it was Martha and not my parents or a chauffeur picking me up since I could be myself with Martha.

"Remember--you have to be perfect," I said quietly to them as we took off.

"Would you like some wine or champagne?" she asked.

"Thank you, but we're okay," I responded.

"Anything to eat?" she asked.

"We're okay, Martha. Go relax, I'm sure you've had a long day," I insisted, and she shook her head, bustling off.

"Is there anything to do on this thing?" Loki questioned.

"...We can watch Eurovision," I suggested.

"What's Eurovision?" I gaped at them, before remembering they were Americans.

"Eurovision is an international song competition. Each country sends a song to represent them. Germany's only won once, with Ein bißchen Frieden a decade ago. There are semi-finals and the ten highest voted songs in each semi progress to the final. The Big Five and the host country are all exempt from the semi-finals. This year, Ireland won and Sweden was the host country," I explained.

"Is it a big deal in Europe?" Tanya asked.

"Is it a big deal? Is it a big deal? Almost everyone in the participating countries gathers around a screen to watch this event, and around ten thousand attend live. That's excluding all the singers and their people. The biggest sporting event in Europe couldn't hold a match to Eurovision," I scoffed.

"Are there ever any scandals?" Carol asked.

"Every year. A country might be excluded, something might happen at the event, there might be a malfunction--there's always something. Honestly, I can say with some authority that most Europeans don't understand what's going on and we love it," before I went on a tangent that lasted the entire ten-hour flight, I turned on this year's Eurovision and immediately captured them.

-

The closer we got to Germany, the more my anxiety grew and I wanted to throw up. By the time we landed and got in the car, I didn't risk opening my mouth in case I vomited everywhere.

Carol and the other obviously noticed, and I could see the worry on their faces. "Tess, are you okay?" Steve asked, concerned. I just nodded in response. We pulled up in front of the house, Martha opening the doors for us.

My friends all gaped at the Panzer Manor, but I just sighed and rolled my eyes. I hated this place, and the sooner we could leave, the better.

"Your parents are expecting you in the lounge, Fräulein Teresa," Martha said as she unloaded our luggage. I swallowed thickly before responding.

"Thank you, Martha. Come on, it's time to meet the hell be--I mean the absolutely wonderful people that have never done anything wrong that I can proudly call my parents," I said, my voice dripping with sarcasm. "And remember--you're all straight, have perfect grades, and want to go straight to college out of high school. Don't even mention Asgard, Loki, Tanya. Don't bring up your powers or enhancements, and you started attending the academy for academic reasons. Oh, one more thing--my parents loathe my powers, so we have to act like I'm normal and perfect and don't absolutely despise everything about this. Also, change your last names. And Loki--you'll be going by Luke during your time here."

"Why?"

"My parents will be absolute asses to you if they find out you don't have a normal name," I said, completely serious.

"They sound like wonderful people," Tanya said dryly.

"Yeah, it was an absolute joy being stuck with them for seventeen years,"