Chapter 11

"Quiet!" Carol hissed as we snuck back out of the window. We were taking Rue back to her room as well since she was in a wheelchair. Carol had Rue in her arms, and I was tasked with getting the wheelchair out. Eventually, I got it through the window, though I almost fell three stories when I did. I wrapped one hand around Carol's arm, having the other holding the wheelchair.

I was flying, it was difficult, but I was flying. We soared over to the girl's dorm in our weird three-person system. We arrived in front of Rue and Janet's room, Janet not having arrived yet. 

"Okay. I'm gonna go in and set up the wheelchair, then I'll take Rue," I hissed, angling the wheelchair so I could get it through the window. I pushed it through, then climbed in after it.

I landed stealthily on the chest between the beds, then held out my arms to take Rue. My knees buckled as I accepted her weight, but maneuvered her into her wheelchair. 

"Thanks, guys. Now go before Miss Hill notices," She hissed. Just as she finished, a light clicked on in front of the door. 

"Is everything alright in there, Rue?" Miss Hill asked.

"Yeah, I just hit my arm on my desk!" She called back. 

"Okay. Just try to be more careful next time," Miss Hill said. 

"No promises!" She gave us a grin and a thumbs-up, and we soared back over to our room. The window screeched a bit when Carol pulled it open, sliding in before me. She moved too far away for me to have a hold on her arm, and I dropped like a stone.

I suppressed a yelp, grabbing onto the window ledge for dear life. 

"Shit. Here, here," Carol grabbed my arms and hauled me into the room, and we scrambled into our beds, feigning sleep. Miss Hill opened the door, looked at us fake sleeping, then closed the door and left. She and I looked at each other and had to clasp hands over our mouths to stop the giggles from escaping.

"Shh. Shh. Come on, we have to get up in 4 hours," Carol hissed. 

I rolled over on my side, moving my arm so I could rest my head on it, then closed my eyes and let sleep wrap her comforting arms around me. A few hours later, I felt someone shaking my arm. 

"Tessa, wake up. It's time for breakfast," Carol said, and I groaned. I rolled over, my arms tingling because it had fallen asleep.

I pulled on my 1975 Rolling Stones t-shirt, some jeans, and red flannel. Luckily, today was an Enhanced day. The enhanced day came along once a month, where all the enhanced kids would spend the day working on their powers. All the other students had SSR today or catch-up day. SSR stood for silent, sustained reading, but most people call it sit down, shut up, and read.

Carol and I made our way down to breakfast, Carol sitting with Ellie, Tony, Thor, Clint, Natasha, Steve, and Bruce. There was only one table left, and it was empty. The people that I normally sat with were all spread out throughout the cafeteria. I sighed, setting my tray down and starting to eat. There was the sound of trays colliding with the table, and I looked over to see Loki and Tanya sitting opposite me.

Tanya sent me a small smile, Loki too busy reading to pay attention. Another tray dropped beside me, and Asya appeared.

 "Why are you sitting here?" I asked. 

"You looked lonely," Tanya said, and Loki looked up from his book.

 "No, this was just the only available table. Let it be known I had no choice in the matter," He said.

"Oh, hush. When I told you, you didn't care," Tanya scolded.

 "Excited for your first Enhanced day?" Asya asked.