Chapter Twelve

Warning: suicide attempt, graphic depiction/mentions of child abuse, hurt comfort

Shifty stared blankly at the wall in his room. Cuddles had helped Dandy finish the work he was supposed to do and drove them home. He was still reeling from the fact that Truffles snitched and told Dreamy where he worked. He didn't even realize Truffles knew where he worked, but then again, his apron had the name of Mr. Quincy's restaurant on it. He wanted so badly to drink something and get shit-faced, but Cuddles refused to leave. The rabbit was currently in the kitchen making some snacks for them to munch on while Shifty laid on his bed in his room in the dark.

Shifty was emotionally and mentally tired. But if he closed his eyes, he knew he would have a nightmare. He hadn't had one since Cuddles came around and because he got blackout drunk in order not to have one. He was already done crying and he felt shame for doing it in front of his coworkers.

His mind moved back to Dreamy. Eventually he would find where Shifty lived. He lived alone. He would get attacked in his home. Dreamy was worse then he was when it came to breaking and entering. If anything happened, it's not like his neighbors would hear.

I need a gun...

He had stupidly gotten rid of his guns because he didn't need them anymore. He only used them for robbing, but he wasn't doing that anymore. The only problem was that if he wanted to get new ones, he'd either have to get a gun license or go through the scum of the back alley, which he didn't want to do again. He had to pay hefty fines to avoid giving them certain other payments for the contraband goods.

"You have pretty lips, boy."

Shifty flinched at the memory. He had left Lifty behind to keep his brother safe at the time. They would have taken advantage of Lifty for sure because he was innocent compared to Shifty. He grabbed his blanket and wrapped himself up, trying to forget the thought that tried to trigger him again. His eyes felt heavy from the crying he had done and from the mental exhaustion. Fight as he could, it didn't stop his vision from going blurry and then black. Sending him into a dark dream he couldn't wake up from.

Back in that foster home, Shifty had been holing himself up in his room. Fake mom and Lifty had gone out again for an event with his friends. He wanted to go, and Lifty would have let him, but he was told by Fake mom to tell him "no" or neither of them would go. Lifty had been looking forward to the event for weeks and he had no choice but to decline when his brother had come up to him asking if he wanted to go.

He was trying to do his homework, but the footsteps he heard downstairs kept distracting him. His hands shook every time he heard the steps. Hopefully, he didn't know that Shifty had been left behind. He had been sure to stay as quiet as possible, counting down the minutes until the event ended and Lifty came home.

His silence broke when he accidentally knocked over his water bottle. He gasped when it hit the ground and the footsteps stopped moving. He held his breath, hoping maybe the t.v. was on and the bottle didn't make that big of a sound. His heart sank when the footsteps rapidly climbed the stairs and came barreling down the hall into his shared room with Lifty. He jumped up from the desk he was sitting on and raced to hide in his closet, but the door was ripped open before he could get in.

"So, you were home."

Shifty stared in horror as Fake dad practically kicked the door open. The pig stared at him, smiling wickedly at Shifty's trembling form.