Chapter Thirty-One

Shifty stared at Cuddles' sleeping form. He had barely managed to get the rabbit into bed last night.

"Don't throw me away, too."

So what his parents had said did affect him that badly. Well he knew it messed Cuddles up, but he didn't realize it was to this extent. He did a really bad job of hiding it, but Shifty originally thought he didn't want to bring it up.

He wanted to talk about it... did he feel like he would have burdened me if he did?

He gently brushed Cuddles' bangs out of his face. He stared at him for a long while, waiting for him to wake up. He was soundly asleep, looking more relaxed then he did awake.

Cuddles didn't trust me enough to speak honestly... he probably thought I wasn't interested in his feelings.

"You still won't say it."

Shifty frowned at this. Was it because he wouldn't say those words that Cuddles wouldn't talk to him? It had to be.

"Why else would you be holding everything in?"

Cuddles shifted a bit, his arms stretching out and grabbing Shifty. He didn't wake up, but he unconsciously snuggled closer into Shifty's side. Shifty blushed at this and relaxed beside him.

He... might need therapy...

---------

Cuddles woke up well into the afternoon with a raging headache. He groaned and sat up, looking around to find he was alone in the room he shared with Shifty. He frowned slightly and got up to go to the bathroom.

Ugh... my head hurts...

After cleaning up and taking some tylenol, he left to go see if Shifty was around, but stopped short when he heard voices in the living room. He stood by the door frame and listened in.

"You're looking much better than usual, Shifty." It was Splendid's voice.

"... thanks. Why are you here?"

"Well, I don't know if you've noticed, but Cuddles has been off these last few weeks. As his friend and you as his... whatever, I'm just concerned for his wellbeing. Toothy said he lives here now, so I just want to know if you're aware."

Cuddles frowned and looked down at the ground. True, he was going a bit off the deep end, but it wasn't that bad.

"He came home drunk again, so yes, I've noticed. Cuddles has never gotten smashed before." Shifty scoffed. "... I'm aware I'm not one to talk, but his reliance on alcohol is becoming an issue... I don't want him to end up as an alcoholic. His character is too good for something like that."

Cuddles' ears twitched at this as he slowly crept closer to the doorframe.

"That's very brave of you to admit to, Shifty. Have you spoken to him about this?"

"No... I don't know how to without... coming off as a hypocrite or anything..."

Splendid hummed, "You're... not triggered by any of this? Are you?"