Prologue 1

Rose Hathaway

“I can’t believe we’re back,” Lissa said, her words intentionally vague as Dmitri and one of the other Guardians walked close by to ensure I didn’t break a twig off of a broken tree and stab someone in an escape attempt.

I took everything in with my eyes. The same St. Vladimir stared back at me, covered in winter’s dust. Ha, just kidding. Winter had spat up all over Backwater, Montana, and St. Vladimir had become someone’s winter wonderland. Not mine, though. I much prefer if it was warmer. And say there was a beach close by, and an ocean within walking distance of that beach.

“Nothing’s changed,” Lissa sighed, shaking her head with wide eyes. Her steps had slowed down considerably, and I slowed mine to match hers. I was used to this pace; it was her queenly pace. This was the slow, steady, strong pace that she used to show her confidence and strength. She knew how to do that as a Royal amongst “equals” and “lessers”, but she perfected the act, the walk, as a Queen amongst subjects.

I let out a long, drawn-out sigh as we made our way into the building, heading toward the cafeteria for that walk of shame that no one gets tired of, I’m sure. I mean, come on, who didn’t like long, awkward walks through a crowded cafeteria full of hormone driven, gossip fiends that sensed a good story as soon as we stepped onto campus. As soon as we walked into the room, we were making our way to Kirova’s office through all the areas that were the most densely populated so that the rumour could spread as quickly as possible.

“Actually, something has changed,” I mumbled at her.

Lissa looked over at me curiously. “What?”

“Us,” I said.

Lissa smiled mirthlessly at me, knowing exactly what I was talking about without needing clarification. “Don’t I know it. I can’t believe that this is happening to us.” She shook her head slowly, meeting every stare sent her way with practised grace and calm. “This entire situation is like something out of a dream.” She stared down a freshman with beautiful green eyes.

“Or a nightmare,” I mumbled.

“Rose,” Lissa reprimanded sharply before taking a breath, slowing her steps more than before. Dmitri took this in stride. If it was just me, he would have nudged me along so that we weren’t later than we already were. Plus, it didn’t hurt that Lissa had perfected the ability to walk around anywhere like she owned every inch of it, and it flowed off of her in graceful waves. She seemed powerful and untouchable, and while the inside of her was a raging maelstrom, on the outside, she was calm and in complete control.

I hoped that I appeared as in control as she did. Sometimes, I never knew. Her strength made me strong, and I was praying that my facial control was nearly as good as her own.

We walked into Kirova’s office, and both of our eyes landed on Victor Dashkov in the corner of the room. Lissa ran to him, hugging him tightly. Despite not being related to him, he was just as much her family as I was. I sat there quietly, my mind racing. I didn’t hear Kirova as she stomped back and forth in front of me, talking about how I was the shame of the world because I took Lissa from St. Vladimir’s Academy. How I was never punished for what I did before leaving, either. She droned on and on about everything I’ve already heard from her and everyone else over my years as a novice. People liked to trudge up my past when it suits them. I knew I was an idiot when I was younger - fifteen to seventeen - one in specific was particularly hard - but I was not going to let that phase me anymore. Especially since I was not going to make those same mistakes as I did before.

I was not as impulsive or childish as I used to be. I was smarter and definitely more worldly than I thought I would have when I was younger. I’m not seventeen. Maybe my body was, but my mind was years older. I was not ignorant to the ways of the world any longer. I may not have been in control of my life like I wanted to be, but I did have a bit more control now than I did before leaving this hell-hole.