Chapter 21

Abe Mazur

I had spent the day at Prince Adrian's home watching a video that could and would destroy Natasha Ozera and any chances of getting off scot-free. I may have had the power to have her killed without anyone knowing but what was the point? She wasn't going anywhere any time soon, and with all this information, why not make her trial as embarrassing as hell for her. It would also help with destroying any future mutinies against my daughter.

Daughter... I still hadn't gotten used to that in all honesty. I had spent the last fifteen years aching over the fact that I couldn't let the world know about her, but until we ended that who posed a threat against her and my Janine, she had to stay in the shadows. Now was the time and I couldn't have been more excited. To know that it was someone from Queen Tatiana's line was infuriating but at least I knew that I had a royal pardon for any deaths and mess I created hunting them down. Nothing ever stopped me from getting what I wanted, and I wanted this person dead, like a decade ago.

The information that I had received was sickening. That orospu had slept with a Strigoi? I felt like being sick. I knew that Rose had slept with Belikov while he was in the same state, but I refused to see that as anything but pure love; whereas Natasha and Isaiah, that was nothing but a quick release and stupidity. Mind you, stupidity seemed to be Natasha's specialty.

The ringing of my phone dragged me from my thoughts. My lips immediately lifted as I lifted the phone to my ear. "Hello my love."

The soft giggling from the other end made my day. "Hello Ibrahaim. How is everything in Court?"

I laughed shaking my head, even though she couldn't see. "Exhausting. You are going to be here before the coronation, right? You do know that your days as a Guardian are sadly over."

There was a sigh then her voice sounded. "Yes, Abe I know. I am going to miss it, but I miss my family more. Are you positive that it is safe to return? For myself and our daughter?"

I sat in the café listening to everyone bitch about Belikov and I was getting over it. Sure, I was the first to wish to see him hurt, but I knew that there was no way he was free of mind, and I wasn't the only one. According to Adrian and Ivan, Christian thought the same as me. But who would have compelled Belikov to say such things? My first suspect was Natasha, and the reasoning was sound, but there was also the chance that it could have been the precious princess Vasilisa, especially after hearing that she tried to compel Rose when leaving for Russia.

After everything my baby girl had done for her and that was how she returned the favour by having the gall to refuse her to ability or at least the courtesy of wishing her well... to say that I wasn't impressed was an understatement. I couldn't believe what Rose saw in Lissa, but the two of them had been best of friends for most of their lives, and bond sisters for years.

Sitting there, I reflected on the words Dmitri had used, and something ate at me. I felt as if there was no way that a man that felt so deeply as Dmitri had, could ever say such things. I had known about his loving a man for years, even before Ivan had died, even before Dmitri's own family had known; that was half the reason I couldn't see Dmitri being free of mind. I was quick with that thought, ripping my phone out and ringing Pavel to find out if Dmitri had received any visitors up to the day in the church.

It took my trusty Guardian half an hour, but it was so worth the time. Despite wishing I could burn the café down, with everyone inside, as I was sick and tired of the conversations, Pavel came through with news that made it durable. It seemed as if Dmitri had received a visitor besides my daughter and it was the prestige Lady Natasha. I knew it, that orospu had compelled Dmitri to say those heart wrenching words. I wondered how he would feel knowing the truth, and just as I thought it, I watched as Dmitri stumbled away from the corner of the window. Feeling sorry for the man that I knew had heard all that had been said about him, I followed him, wishing him to know the truth behind the scene in the church.