Draco x OC

That night replayed in my mind. The frigid air as I stepped outside the house billowed around me in waves. The clouds that drew nearer to me, twirling around me like they were little dancers. The footsteps echoing around me. The snake slithering toward me, followed by her master, who was followed by my sworn enemy's father. The tattoo on my inner arm tingled as Lord Voldemort approached me, and it burned when he spoke. Lucius stood there like a little boy following his parents, and I so wished he would have said something, anything. There was no way I could do what Voldemort asked of me, but I said I would, just so I wouldn't get into trouble and end up dying at the hands of that monster. Plus, I knew if I would have said no, they would have hurt my friends, and there was no way that was going to happen. 

At the beginning of Sixth Year, I was forced to befriend my sworn enemy: Draco Malfoy. He wasn't as rude as he was during the years leading up to that one, which was alright with me. I wasn't miserable like I thought I would be. He just seemed . . . stressed about his mission. I completely understood; I had to aide him in it, so I was stressed too. Hermione, Harry, and Ron were all worried about me at the beginning of the year, but I convinced them that I was alright, that it was just classes making me act like that. I knew that Hermione didn't believe me, but she didn't push me, and for that, I was grateful. 

For the months leading to when our mission was supposed to be complete, I tried talking to Draco about how what we were doing was bad. Even if I may have come from loyal Death Eaters and a Pureblood family, I did not believe in the Voldemort cause. My parents made me get the Dark Mark, though. I had to put on a façade that I was enjoying my work as a Death Eater so I wouldn't get tortured and die. 

Draco seemed to be listening to my words. As time went on, he became more and more empathetic towards people. He actually started caring about the people around him, and it looked like he was changing. I just hoped he wouldn't go through with the mission. 

"Julia." His voice rang through the silent hallway, making me spin around. No one else was supposed to be out and about that night, so it was weird seeing Draco standing behind me. "What are you doing up so late?"

I flashed him a grin. "I could ask you the same thing, Draco." I shrugged, crossing my arms over my chest. "But since we're both Prefects, nothing can really happen to us."

"Unless the Head Boys and Head Girls find us," he joked, giving me a rare grin. He looked absolutely adorable in the shadows of the hallway, having a little grin on his face. I wished others could see how he looked right now, but they couldn't. "You know how they love finding two people and spreading rumors about them snogging and having sex in the Prefects bathroom."

Draco walked over to me, and we started down the hallway. Only our footsteps echoed around us, and I got nervous. It was late at night and no one was out, so it would have been a great chance for Draco to take Dumbledore's life. I glanced over at him and saw a thoughtful look on his face, which meant that he was thinking about his -- our -- mission. Great. 

"You know you don't have to do this," I whispered, sending a quick glance around the hallway. Thankfully no one else was around to hear what we were going to talk about. "There are others here that can do your job."

"You know I have to do this," he whispered back. His voice echoed softly around us, sounding so hollow and thin. "If I don't, he will kill me."

"Let's run away," I said suddenly. I stopped walking and latched onto his hand, pulling him to a stop, too. He faced me, and in the dim moonlight, I could see the terror in his eyes. "Let's run away together, Draco. He won't be able to find us if we disappeared in the dead of night."

"He will find us," he said. "I know he would try anything to find us and kill us."

"We're some of the best witches and wizards Hogwarts has to offer," I argue back. "We can take care of ourselves."