Conor x Abeke AU

The nice summer evening was overshadowed by the dreary circumstance Conor was in. His whole herd of sheep were brutally murdered by wolves that lived in the nearby woods. Conor walked in a circle around his herd, his heart growing heavier and heavier. These sheep were not only just animals; they were his best friends and pets.

Everyone in the small town avoided him whenever he went to the market. He was just the shepherd boy, nothing special.

Tears threatened to spill down his cheeks. Conor decided to head inside. He'll deal with this . . . torturous mess in the morning.

The back door was open but the screen door was shut. He quickly opened it and headed inside, collapsing onto his wore down couch. Conor could not believe all of his sheep were dead. How could it have happened? He was only gone for a couple of hours!

Before Conor could dwell any longer on his depressing thought, a knock at the door jolted him. He frowned as he stood up, running a hand through his hair. Who could be out and about at this time of evening?

The walk to the front door was short. Conor stood there for a second before opening it. A girl that looked around his age stood at the door with a sheepish smile on her dark brown face. Her brown eyes were crinkled at the corners. As nice and friendly as she looked, a little seed of doubt settled in his stomach. Why would a girl his age be out right now?

"Well, are you going to say something?" the girl said, her smile disappearing. In her hands she gripped a bulging bag. "I'm not standing here for my health, you know."

Her voice was warm and thick and it fit her appearance. "I'm sorry," Conor said quickly. "I'm just surprised that someone is at my door. I'm not very popular in this town. Are you new here?"

"Yeah," she said, shifting the weight on her feet. "I came from Okaihee. I'm traveling around Erdas, trying to figure out all of the different supernatural things about it."

"Then why are you here?"

"I need a place to stay for a night," the girl said. "I've heard that the woods behind your house are haunted and I want to check it out in the morning."

"The woods aren't haunted," Conor said politely. The girl studied him and her gaze was unsettling. "At least, I haven't seen anything that would scream 'haunted' to me."

"Maybe I can sway you later," the girl said, grinning. "So? What's the verdict?"

"I guess you can stay for the night," Conor said, sighing. "Come in." He held the door open for her as she walked in, looking around his home. "If you want to put your bag down, I'll show you to the guest room."

"That would be great." Conor shut the door behind the girl and lead her down the hallway. He pointed to the first door on the right and she said, "I'm guessing this is my room."

"Very perceptive of you," Conor said, laughing. "Are you hungry? I can fix some dinner if you'd like."

"What a gentleman," the girl said. "I can help you."

"Okay," Conor said, nodding. "That'd be nice."

The girl set her bag down on the bed and followed him to the kitchen. "What would you like? I have some soup in the fridge that I can heat up."

"What would you like me to do?"

"If you want some bread to go with it, go ahead and cut it up."

They worked in amiable silence. Conor spooned the soup into bowls and set them in the microwave, clicking the two for two minutes. He leaned back on the counter and said, "So, what's your name?"