Dumbledore x McGonagall

Smoke billowed up to the ceiling, shrouding the two teachers in a comfortable haze. It was late at night, and the moon sliced through the smoke, hitting the chessboard in between them. A couple candles were lit, casting shadows across her face. A cigarette was pressed against her lips as she scanned the board, planning her next move.

"Minerva," he murmured, matching the mood that was set. 

"Hmm?"

"Have you heard the news?" he asked.

She moved a piece along the chessboard and looked up, meeting his eyes. "What news?"

"The Potter's are pregnant," he replied, a small smile gracing his face. "They sent me a letter last week."

Her lips dipped into a frown, the cigarette nearly falling out of her fingers. "Let's hope Lily raises this child," she answered. "I do not want a repeat of James Potter."

"Why not?" he asked, a gruff laugh hitting her ears. 

Her eyes hardened. "He caused all this gray hair, Albus."

"Now, that is a lie," he said. "You've had that gray hair for a multitude of years."

"James added to it. Him and his group of friends."

"They are going to go far in this life," he said, absentmindedly moving a piece on the chessboard. "They are dedicated to taking care of our wizards."

"So are the Longbottom's," Minerva said, glancing at Albus. "You shouldn't be picking favorites."

"I'm not," he argued. "You dislike those boys because they were very opinionated. They are bright lads, just like Longbottom."

She focused on the board, formulating her next move and her next answer. She knew Albus was not paying attention to the chess game, so she just had to keep him talking. That way her streak would never be broken. 

Minerva took a long drag from the cigarette, her head clearing up. She knew exactly where she was going in the game, and she knew without a doubt where Albus was going.

"How is your brother?" Minerva asked, giving a glance to Albus. His head dipped slightly, and his eyes were a little darker.

"He's doing swell," Albus answered, hastily moving a piece.

"That's good."

He grabbed a cigarette from the box and said, "Could you light it?"

She nodded, whispering the spell. His cigarette glowed as he pressed it to his lips, sucking in a breath. With him distracted like that, she moved her piece. 

"Has Severus spoken to you recently?"

"Yes." Albus moved a piece with his free hand. "Even if he doesn't show it, he is devastated the Lily is having a child with James."

Minerva nodded. "He should have let her go a long time ago, Albus. She chose James, not him."

"She was the first person who loved him," Albus argued. 

"And? My mother was the first person who loved me, but she passed away." She moved her one of her pieces. "Some people move on, and that's okay."

Albus moved one of his pieces before saying, "The students are coming in a couple of days. It is going to be hectic."

Minerva allowed the conversation change as she moved her piece closer to winning. She was so close she could taste it. The cigarette rested on the table, the burning end hanging off. She had to use both her hands to win. 

"With wizards, everything is hectic," Minerva answered him. 

"That is very true."

He moved his piece while taking a drag of the cigarette. His eyes weren't focused on the game anymore. They were focused on her. 

"What?" she asked, glancing around. 

"Nothing," he replied so she moved one of her pieces. 

She was one move away from getting a checkmate. She was glad Albus was distracted. What he was distracted on, she had no idea. Every time they were playing chess, she always won. And Albus was one of the best she had played against.

Albus took his time to figure out what he was doing next. He seemed to realize that she had distracted him because he sent her a small smile. 

"You seemed to have taken my attention, Minerva," he replied, taking a slow drag on the cigarette. 

"I am sorry," she answered, not really knowing what else to say.

She watched as he moved his piece right to where she needed him to be. She moved her piece and whispered, "Checkmate."