Jane x Carlos

There was something going on with my stomach. It was like a stomach ache but my stomach didn't hurt. Maybe it was nothing. 

My hand gripped the bouquet of roses as the other one slung my bag over my shoulder. I stopped in front of Jane's house and gazed up at the cottage. Of course Fairy Godmother would buy a quaint house to raise her amazing daughter in. 

I shook my head, my hair flopping in front of my face. I could not overthink anything about tonight. It was my first time spending the night at Jane's and I couldn't mess anything up. I loved Jane and I don't think I could stop being with her if I messed up big time. Unfortunately for me, though, I didn't have my wing man. Dude had to stay with Jay because he decided to get sick. 

I walked up the steps to the wraparound porch and placed my hand on the door. Before I could even knock, the door was ripped open and Fairy Godmother grinned at me. "Carlos! So good to see you!" 

I didn't have a chance to say anything. She reached out and pulled me into a bone crushing hug. I yelped and said, "Watch out for the roses!"

Fairy Godmother jumped backward, a sheepish smile displayed on her face. "I'm sorry. Here, let me take them from you."

I handed her the flowers and stepped inside. I set my bag on the ground, next to the stairs, and kneeled down. I quickly undid my worn tennis shoes, placing them on the woolen floor mat. My stomach flipped as I was staring at the floor mat. It was embroidered with a woman and a girl, holding hands. Back at the Isle, Mom didn't have anything that had anything to do with me. Watching the way Jane and her mom interacted totally changed my view on a parents relationship with their child. I stood back up and glanced upstairs. The breath was knocked out of my body as I saw Jane standing at the top of the stairs. 

"Carlos, are you okay?" she asked. She rushed down the stairs, her perfectly curled hair flying behind her. She wrapped her hand around my arm and peered at me with concern in her dreamy eyes. 

"I - I," I stuttered, "I'm super duper good!"

"Yup, you're super duper good," Jane said, giggling. She tugged me forward and said, "Don't be so nervous. Mom loves you."

"I know but this is the first time I'm spending the night and I'm afraid to mess up because I really care for you and I don't want to lose you," I rambled, looking down at the floor. 

"Hey." She gently lifted my chin. "You're not going to lose me."

"You sure?"

"Positive." Jane pecked my cheek and I swear my face was as red as Jay's beanie. "You'll do fine."

"Jane? Carlos? What's taking you so long? Dinner's ready!" Fairy Godmother called out. 

Jane gave me an encouraging smile as we walked into the dining room. The table was piled high with delicacies and delicious looking food. My stomach immediately growled at the sight of such rich food, the scent filling my nose. "This looks great!" I said eagerly. 

"Thank you, dear," Fairy Godmother replied. A gurgling sound hit my ears, and I tried not to frown. A soft noise followed the gurgling and Jane looked incredulous. 

"Mom!" Jane almost screeched. She slightly calmed down and said, "What was that?"

"It was nothing," Fairy Godmother said, waving a hand. "Let's all sit down and enjoy this feast that I made." I did as she asked and Jane sat down next to me, a pout on her face. I grabbed a free plate and started piling it high, especially with the chocolate and peanut butter treats. Those were my favorite. 

A soft patter echoed in the silence, and Jane looked like she was going to scream. "Mom?"

"Yes, dear?"

"I know what you are doing," Jane said. "You're trying to purposely embarrass me!"

"Honey, you know I have stomach problems," Fairy Godmother said and I had to hide my giggles behind my hand. "It comes with stress."

"Please tell me you took your medicine."

"You know I don't like how it makes me feel!"

Jane sighed dejectedly and sat back in her chair. I looked between the two and saw that Fairy Godmother only had a grin on her face. Jane, however, was upset. "Guys?" I said and they both looked at me. "I don't mind any . . . gas. Back at the Isle, my mom and I hardly even interacted! But this? No offense, Jane, but you take your mom for granted. She just wants the best for you, even if it does mean embarrassing you."

"See, Jane? I told you he wouldn't mind it," Fairy Godmother said, raising an eyebrow. "He's a keeper."

"I know he's a keeper but you could at least keep your embarrassingness on the down low," Jane said. "You know I don't like it."

"Okay, deal," Fairy Godmother said, smiling. She reached below her seat and struggled getting back up. There were many photo albums stacked on her arm as she cleared a space on the table with the other arm. "Carlos, dear? Do you want to look at Jane's baby pictures with me?"

"Of course," I said, grinning. 

"Mom!" Jane whined. "Carlos!"

"Only for a little while. Then we can go and do whatever you want, sweetie," I said, placing a hand on hers. 

"Fine. I'll tell you when to stop looking at them."

I smiled widely at her and stood up, walking over to Fairy Godmother. She opened the first photo album and I swooned on the inside at the sweet baby pictures of Jane. "She was so cute!"

"She still is," Jane commented, closing the album. "Time for us to go hangout! Thanks for the food, Mom!"

Jane latched onto my arm and tugged me up the stairs and to her room. She shut the door behind her and sighed, saying, "Sorry for my mom."

"It doesn't bother me," I said, shaking my head. "I love your mom. I heard that she loves me too." Jane rolled her eyes and got silent. "Are you okay?"

"I'm great," she said, nodding. "Do you want to go outside? I have a special spot on the roof where I can see the sunset."

"Sure," I said, following her to a window. She walked out on the roof, the slight breeze blowing her light blue dress around. I stepped behind her and sat down. She sat down next to me, leaning into my side. My heart started jumping and beating out of control and I hoped she didn't feel it. 

"Look! The sun is going down!" Jane said, excitedly. "It's so pretty!"

"Not as pretty as you," I said. Inwardly, I congratulated myself for being so smooth. Usually I stumble over my words but I'm not today. Maybe Dude is bad luck. 

"Carlos," Jane said quietly. 

She looked over at me and I could feel a tug toward her. Just as we were about to meet, her mom yelled, "Jane, don't do something that I would do!"

Jane sighed but didn't move away. "Don't focus on her."

"It's hard not to."

I brought her face toward mine and gave her a small, warm kiss. My face - scratch that - my whole body was warm and tingly and I couldn't stop grinning.