Rollan x Meilin AU

Rollan crouched behind the dumpster, watching intently as the limousine slowed to a stop outside of the prestigious hotel. The alleyway smelled of rotten meat, and he could guess that the hotel dumped their leftover food out there. That was such a disgrace because people were starving and here rich places threw away food.

A man stood at attention as a leg stepped out of the limo. The other stunning leg followed suit, and Rollan frowned. It should've been Teng Zhong, the head of a private investigative company. The red dress alerted him that it was not Teng who was in the limo.

"Thank you," the feminine voice murmured, but Rollan could hear every word. "Take these bags in. I'll wait out here for Father to arrive."

The butler started protesting, but the female brushed it off. "I can take care of myself," she said.

Rollan could tell by the way she stood. The butler was blocking his view of the lady's face, but her feet were wide enough apart to take on an attacker. That made his mission harder. He needed someone who was a little easier to rob from.

The butler finally stepped out of the way, revealing a stunningly beautiful woman. Her sleek black hair was piled on top of her head, and the red dress was tight against her body. Her face was the thing that stuck out to Rollan the most. It looked like she no makeup on at all, like she was naturally beautiful.

Her eyes snapped around every few seconds, and Rollan cursed under his breath. She looked very intuitive about the world around her. This was going to be harder than he thought.

He stepped out from behind the dumpster, smoothing his . . . borrowed uniform from the hotel. His hands found the empty bin and he strolled right toward the stunning girl. He allowed his features to relax more, and a smile formed on his face. He needed to act like a normal guy who worked at the hotel.

Passing by her was one of the hardest things he had done. Her perfume overpowered everything else, and he nearly fell over when they brushed hands because they were so close to the light pole. Something seared in his stomach at the thought of stealing from such a beautiful woman. But he had to; he needed food to eat. 

"Sir," she said, her voice so soft and perfect.

He spun around, the basket nearly hitting her in the stomach. "Yes?"

"My bracelet."

He frowned, his brows furrowed. "What?"

"Why do you have my bracelet in your hand?"

He glanced at his hand and cursed. He had done that almost unintentionally. A gold bracelet dangled from his slim fingers; there was a small charm on the bracelet. Rollan held it closer to his eyes and saw a panda charm on it. 

"I am sorry, ma'am," he said, hastily dropping the basket on the ground. "I don't know what has gotten into me."

As he was handing the bracelet back to her, resigned to eating dumpster food, she gripped his arm and threw him against the car. His breath left his lungs as she pressed his head into the window. He could vaguely see her admiring her nails as she said, "Why were you stealing from me?"

Rollan closed his eyes. He was a lousy criminal, always getting caught. This happened way too fast for him, especially because he was distracted by her beauty. 

"Answer me," she whispered, leaning closer to his ear. 

His heart was beating against his chest. He tried to speak, but it came out all jumbled together. Her grip on him eased up and he said, "I haven't eaten in two days. Only scraps."

"You resort to stealing jewelry to get food?" she asked softly. "I don't believe that."

He sighed. "It's the truth. It helps me get more money so I can buy food for me and the other children living on the streets."