Chapter- XXVII

After the rather eventful dinner was over, it was time for some unexpected fireworks.

Explosive revelations, if you may say!!

Everyone had settled in the terrace garden for after-dinner coffee and drinks. The view of the Boston Greenline was spellbinding with the lights playing peek-a-boo and the dark night sky trying to engulf everything. The breeze was neither too warm nor too cold. Everything was just perfect.

It felt like one of those fleeting moments which are going to end and never reoccur. And then the bomb dropped,

"I sincerely hope to meet you again Rose when we return from Italy." smiled Susanna.

The coffee suddenly feels too hot!! Gulp it?! Spit it?!

"You guys are leaving?!" Rose asked with an honest why-are-you- leaving look.

For Heaven's sake, you met them two hours ago!!

It's the sense of security they bring!!

Otherwise, alone with Moneybags??!!

Who'll manage us?!

The sheer horror of the kinds of mischief waiting to happen!!

"It's only for a week!! An official royal meet-and-greet involving signing some paperwork. I'll not bore you with details but Edward and I will be back before you start missing us." Susanna gave the sweetest possible smile cupping Rose's cheek.

"The staff has been given strict instructions to not disturb Matt and you under any circumstances. You'll have the whole house to yourself. It'll be like there's no one else here apart from you two."
Susanna smiled like the perfect host you read of in books and see in movies.

Oh please do ask them to disturb us!!

Do you know what might happen in a week, heck, what might happen in a day!!

Matt was reading the skepticism on Rose's face and trying hard to control his laughter when she looked at him.

"Thank you Mom, you really know the best!" he responded with a very serious face.

After a minute of enjoying the anxiety playing on Rose's face, Matt decided to put her out of her misery and responded, "The new security consultant will be here tomorrow morning before Mom and Dad leave. He'll be staying here and shadowing us till matters clear up."

Matt was a tad disappointed seeing relief spread over Rose's visage. He really wanted to know all those scenarios which were playing out moments ago in Rose's mind and giving her that pink blush.

All in good time!!

Around this woman he felt like a bungling idiot who'd mess everything up with a wrong word, needless pressure, rough i-don't-care attitude or maybe I-care-too-much sappy behaviour.

He hadn't earned any knowledge about her, it was all bought, forced or co-erced.

What candies she liked or if she liked candies at all?!

He wanted to seep and peep into her soul at the same time!!

Oh boy, you're a goner!!

Rose lifted her brow silently as if asking, "Penny for your thoughts?!" which Matt just smiled and brushed aside saying, "You guys need to sleep if you don't want a late start tomorrow."

Outside Rose's room, Matt rattled off the security checks in place as if he were an orderly, "The windows are all double-checked. This room has only one access door where we're standing now, this room is sandwiched between Mom's and my room and we're both light sleepers so you won't have to worry. There's intercom connecting the whole house and if you press 1 on the remote by your bedside it'll directly connect you to Robert and his team."

"Matt!" Rose interrupted as softly as possible, "I know am well- secured surrounded by atleast eight people. It's not my first night away from home in unfamiliar surroundings. Am sure I won't be much trouble to you."

"Are you sure?" Matt asked.

"I beg your pardon?!" Rose asked with a surprised expression.

"I mean would you be okay?! If you want I can setup my workstation outside your room, you can keep the door open or close whatever feels comfortable."

Is this guy for real?!

"Yes, Matt, I'll be okay," literally pushing Matt away from the door.

"There's a panic room too, in case you feel safer there!!" Matt could be heard saying from a couple of feet away.

"No Matt, thank you!!" Rose replied loud enough for all three adjacent rooms.

If the day had not been such a whirlwind Rose would've been awake with anticipation all night. It was as if she could sense Matt's presence nearby. But when you are exhausted you're truly exhausted. Rose didn't remember what happened first her head hitting the pillow or her falling asleep.

Soft knocks followed by Matt's voice woke her up the next morning. Maybe she was still groggy with sleep because the clock read 11 friggin 30.

She literally jumped out of the bed and ran to open the door. Matt was welcomed by a facepalm-ing, hair all over the place, pajama-clad Rose who murmured, "I don't know how am this late but I'll be down in 5 to see off your parents."

A broadly grinning Matt responded, "You have a week's time to get ready to welcome them. They left at 6 this morning. Mom's strictly punctual about these things. You looked exhausted last night so she insisted no one should disturb you."

"The Security consultant is here so I checked in. If you hadn't responded I'd have used the spare key after banging the door down."

A now-wide-eyed Rose replied, "Why are you a morning person?! Is something wrong with the water here? You've been really talking off the bat since we came here. Are you nervous?"

The last statement made Matt grin again, "Not nervous just happy."

"This new consultant must really be something for you to be finally at ease. I'll be down in 10."

"Obviously, he's the kind Mossad wants to hire."

With an incredulous look Rose shut the door and was done with her morning rituals and bath in 9 minutes flat. The tenth minute she used combing through her phone, messages and mails.

Dad's text, "I hope you like the surprise" was belated.

Haha dad you don't say that after springing the surprise.

Single-handedly deciding coming here would be a good idea was more than a surprise.

Men!!

What can you do?!

Can't live with or without them.

Speaking of which, there were two waiting downstairs looking forward to meeting her.

With brisk decisive steps, Rose came down to the main hall but her steps froze the moment her eyes met with the lean but muscular 6'1" tawny-eyed, dark-haired, tan, tattoed guy standing in front of her clad in white shirt and midnight black business suit smiling at her with a cryptic smile.

So this is what you meant as surprise, Dad!!

A/N: Que suspense track* Who do you think is this hunk of a surprise?!

Any guesses?

There are no wrong answers only wild imaginations!!

Till next chapter, stay safe and take care!!