Chapter - XX

What happened next was an absolute haze. Matt sat on the dirty ground amidst the sunrays filtering in from the leafy groves around cradling Rose as if she were his only tether to sanity and life itself.

Sonya and Robert along with the rest of the team rushed in but it all felt like it was happening in slow motion.

Everything around was blurred, the only thing glowing with light was the delicate face. Every time Rose in her unconscious state exhaled, Matt felt as if he was dying. But the moment she drew a breath in he felt he had a reason to live.

Everyone around him was talking and from their gestures it felt they were very loud but it all felt like white noise he couldn't register. Sonya thrust a bottle of water so close to Rose, Matt felt like tearing her limb off, but thankfully the moment he looked up he saw her uncapping it and sprinkling some drops on Rose's face.

The drops of water felt like dew on her petal-like soft face and they worked like magic for Rose's face contorted with the shock of the cold water. She moved her head side to side, creasing her eyelids, as if trying to free herself from Matt's palms which held her face.

Since he didn't let go, Rose murmured something to the tune of 'let me go' and the next instant her hazel eyes flashed open with white fear taking in the presence of so many people around her slowly looking from one to the next trying to get her bearings. The fear ebbed from her eyes slowly as it was all coming back to her.

Since Matt hadn't let gone of her, she held the edge of his palm with her fingers slowly pulling them away from her face and murmured loud enough for everyone to hear, "Am alright. You can let go, Matt."

Matt for some reason was too dazed and it seemed like Rose's words still hadn't registered. He still looked at her with his breath held, lips parted, brows creased as if he still didn't believe she was okay.

Pulling herself up from Matt's lap and away from him, Rose had her eyes downcast as she stood up straight and brushed all soil off from the back of her dress. Matt was still on the ground on his knees with his eyes still on her face.

Robert placed his hand on Matt's shoulder and said, "She's okay, boss."
Everyone was now looking at Matt for he abruptly shut those parted lips, put down his outstretched hands which were holding Rose's face and stood up in one fluid motion. Oddly there was no dirt on his knees.

"Umm right, Rose is okay so as discussed the security detail stays with you. And am calling in our company doctor to have a look at you."

Rose's face really alarmed at that. "There is no need for that. Am absolutely okay. I have to finish some work remaining here once which is done I shall be going to dad's and a full day of rest. It was probably due to exhaustion." She turned her face away from everyone as she said the last sentence as if she were embarrassed at not taking proper care of herself.

"Mind if I join you?" spoke Matt out of nowhere.

Rose's brow creased at that and she blurted out, "In resting?" But she slapped her palm on her mouth when she realized what she'd blurted. Rose blushed wildly and Matt's face visibly lightened and briefly smiling to himself he said, "I meant to accompany in finishing the remaining work", getting really close to Rose he whispered, "but I wouldn't mind helping in resting either."

Rose stepped back taking in a sharp breath and her face had turned beetroot red but it was sure that this was due to anger.

Matt looked at her pointedly as if it would force an answer from her. And it did for a few moments later Rose offered, "Matt would you like to see the orchard and the hives?"

Matt smiled like a three year old had been given free access to a candy jar.

Turning towards the direction from where faint buzzing noise was coming, Matt and Rose were followed and surrounded by their respective teams. Sonya and Robert followed a couple of steps behind, both very conscious of each other and maintaining same walking pace.