Chapter - XIV

Dad had the most serious expression when I came back to the study once Matt had left.

"I was talking to your brother and we know who hacked into our database. The search took a lot of time and some unauthorized methods but we are sure it's a software company owned by Matt based in Europe."

Am sure I had the most serious deadpan expression by now.

I wasn't even surprised.

Tonnes of money and I'll-get-whatever-i-want attitude guys almost always employ such methods.

"We ourselves did similar searches to try to find his intentions behind these actions but there's no paper trail or any lead as to why he's here and why he wants Regalia which makes it even more unpredictable."

"Rosey, you've been the strongest daughter any father could ask for and I have fears that we are venturing into something unknown which may lead to even more danger."

"Matt involved you directly the moment he stormed into your office and I know you and your brother are two peas from the same pod venturing into the unknown with zero fear. You wanting to work on this project despite everything."

"But I really want you to be careful."

"I know I have made all the right noises in front of Matt to give him the illusion we've no idea what's going on so that he may lower his guard but you need to be alert at all times."

I nodded silently in reply.

I know I have always had dad and my brother watching my back but at the end of the day it's my life and my decisions and I don't want to make the same mistake twice.

Not in the matters of business or heart...

Big oak doors creak open as we walk into what used to be the lobby of the once favoured by the happening party crowd of the 50s, Regalia.

It was the first place to have floor to ceiling windows giving it the bright and open feel.

Everything was rusty now.

The windows coming off it's hinges.

The floor all moldy.

Suddenly there was water seeping up at every step I took.

My feet were clad in vintage Cinderella style shoes, my hands gloved in old lace, I was wearing a baby pink vintage gown over which the mold and water was slowly rising.

I turned in horror to look at Matt, who was dressed in a vintage black tuxedo.

The mold and dank rose up his body and reached his eyes and they turned evil with a maniac gleam, as he shoved a knife into me whispering, "Regalia is mine. Stay out of it."

I woke up in sweat, pulling lungful of breaths to calm myself. Sitting up I took a glass of water from my side table, taking slow sips to rein in my nerves.

Moneybags is killing for the project even in my sleep.

Jeez.

Way to put a dampener for tomorrow.

Can there be any more alarm bells regarding the whole deal?!

Groaning inwardly, I looked up and said "Please don't answer that with anymore complications."

I had been up till 1am trying to perfect the plans and the nightmare had woken me up after just 2 hours of sleep.

If I needed my sanity tomorrow I had to sleep.

Willing myself, I lay down again sending silent prayers heavenwards.

Sicilia, being her efficient self woke me up with morning tea bright and cheery at 7am.

4 hours of sleep had done nothing to soothe my frayed mind. Reluctantly I got out of bed and into the bathroom which was next to my room. As I looked into the mirror, dark circles and an unruly head of black hair stared back at me.

Could this day get any worse a start?

Shower and getting ready took an extra half hour. I came down for breakfast at 8.30am. Dad was already at the dining table reading the newspaper. His second cup of tea steaming in front of him. Sam and Sicilia brought in blueberry and chocolate pancakes, crisp bacon, fresh-cut fruits, scrambled eggs and orange juice.

The sight of food did little to lift my spirits, normally I'd have been following Sam and Sicilia with a half-eaten pancake in my mouth and bacon in my hand to the dining table.

All three of them noticed it but only Dad asked even though he didn't need to cause he knew the answer to his question, "Sleep well, Rosey?"

Trust dads to keep asking you awkward questions. Maybe he's giving me a chance to back out of the deal.

I give him an assuring glance and force-feed myself the much-needed sustenance for the day. No wars are won empty-stomach, mum used to say.

She'd be proud as dad I hoped with all that I'd attained so far.

She's definitely be because material possessions were the last thing she adored. Achievements through will and determination were what pleased her most.

Finishing food off my plate I went up to my room, dad's eyes following my actions closely. Folding the plans up for the ride to Regalia, I took one last look at them.

Comparing them with the backdrop would give the actual picture.

It was 15 minutes to 10am, when I noticed Matt's car drive up our driveway, from up my room's window.

Someone is eager much for the project. I was however in two minds after the nightmare last night.

Taking the plans, my clutch and mobile phone down I reached the landing in front of the main gate just as Matt was entering.

His eager chocolate eyes and charming smile almost pinned me to my spot as he gave me an approving toe to head look.

Glad the extra time this morning managed to cover all traces of last night.

Seeing the plans and other stuff in my hands, he assumed am equally eager because beaming widely he asked, "All set?"

I nodded a not too enthusiastic yes which made his smile falter a bit.

"You okay?", I answered a polite yes, by then Dad too had come out there and Matt shook his hand wishing a warm good morning.

Nothing seems good this morning, I muttered under my breath, which probably Matt caught as his head slightly leaned in my direction.

Dad and Matt exchanged a few words about the tender none of which I could register. My mind wanted to get this visit done and over with asap.
Only words which broke through my haze were when Dad told Matt, "We need to check for molds and seepage really well since it's such an old building", bringing glimpses from my nightmare back and at the precise moment Matt turned towards me and said, "Am confident Rose has very keen eyes for those", which made my breath hitch for all the wrong reasons.

Oh my personal hell...

Author's Note:- They say a woman's sixth sense can cause very strong premonitions. Do you think Matt is someone she should be scared of? Is he trustworthy?

Please read, vote, comment and share with your reading pals.

It really means a lot.

#121 in tycoon. 💐💐💐

XOXOXO