Chapter - XXXI

Glaring at Tara for screaming like a baby, Rose calmly placed the document as she'd taken it out of the envelope. Motioning to Tara to leave for the day, Rose dialled Officer Simpson, who was assigned to the case, explaining him about the letter. He mentioned a constable would be dropping by to collect it and that no one else should touch it so that investigation is not hampered.

Matt and Arthur kept looking at Rose while she handled it as if she'd gotten used to it by now and was least bothered by the nuisance.

When she got off the phone, she stared at both Matt and Arthur and conveyed in crisp, clear words, "I'll be attending the function tomorrow as scheduled and delivering the presentation. I don't care if any of you accompanies me, for am beyond pissed with the shit that's flying around. I am not willing to let my work get hampered by anyone or their threats."

"Everything was peaceful up untill a week ago and I'll make sure the same peace is back. I don't need either of you to do it for me."

By the time Rose was finished saying this her face was red with rage and a vein was throbbing on her forehead. Matt and Arthur were spellbound by Rose's reaction and knew arguing their point would make her even less co-operative so each just nodded their yes-es.

Half a minute later, as if checking the room ceiling for any cameras facing towards her, Rose started explaining her plan via sign language keeping her hands really close to avoid anything getting recorded or captured even via peripheral view of the cameras in the study. Matt and Arthur both silently followed suit by not reacting and putting up questions with short, swift hand gestures too.

Once they were done discussing, all three stepped down to the dining room for dinner. Getting within Rose's earshot Matt questioned, "How did you know I could understand sign language?"

Rose replied with a smile, "I didn't. But I was sure Arthur could and he'd explain whatever we'd have decided to share with you since you're the target."

Bringing her voice a couple of octaves down she said,"Don't die on us. It'd be a crying shame if Boston treated it's guest so badly."

To Matt, Rose's concern felt like she was saying yes. It felt like music to his ears. Grinning broadly, he replied on the same octave,"I promise not to."

The next morning Rose was dressed in her formal best, an ivory satin shirt paired with matching linen pants and a beige jacket. Matching pearl drops and bracelet completed the elegant business look she had in mind which wouldn't drag attention away during the presentation but show she meant business. Her plans were moved by the staff to her car and she drove herself alone reaching the Town Hall where the function was to be held.

She reached half an hour early taking the route with least possible traffic and having started early as well, but the place was already abuzz with the who's who of the city. She warmly smiled and greeted everyone. Since the threats so far were all hush-hush people mostly enquired after her Dad and how was the business, she was her charming self pleasing one and all making the right conversation since she needed them to be on her side today.

Ryan was greeting and interacting with anyone and everyone for very known reasons but he'd always been like that so people mostly looked forward to it. Him being easy on the eyes didn't hurt anyone either. When he saw Rose, he consciously made his way across the crowd to her, treating her to one of his dimpled i-was-looking-forward-to-meeting-you smiles holding her hands warmly in handshake.

"Am so glad my bull-headed friend didn't accompany you!!", Ryan commented. Rose's brows playfully rose up in surprise hearing that.

"Didn't know you disliked him that much?!"

"Only when he's being a bungling idiot, messing where he does not belong. I don't want his arrogance to take down both you and I.", the last statement was soft enough only for Rose to hear. Real concern reflected in Ryan's eyes.

Rose couldn't help but nod in acknowledgement.

Obviously Ryan knew Matt better and right now no chances were worth suspecting people.

Rose's presentation was the last one to go. There were only four before her, none matching Helena Developers' market reputation or body of work. The animated guide was played up first which garnered a lot of oohs-and-aahs from the crowd. Rose then took the podium explaining in detail about how Regalia would be a hundred percent self-sufficient in terms of power generation, water conservation and utilisation, how the interior and restoration materials used would be completely environment friendly and in eighty percent of the case recycled, it's placement away from the city would make it an ideal getaway spot away from prying eyes and complete privacy and seclusion, if desired would be one of the key features.

The last plan she showed up, was of the changes which the Smiths had made fearing Prohibition-like times and so the whole ground was inlaid with tunnels and hidden pathways. The crowd was spellbound with this plan being up for display for people suspected it but it was never advertised by the Smiths. Rose mentioned the restoration work would make sure to preserve this and use it as an additional feature for kids accompanying the guests, history buffs and adventure junkies.

The amount quoted by Rose - 15 million, for the restoration work seemed impossible but she listed all of her local contractors and antique suppliers list along with their price quotation for the materials required which made the surreal possible.

There was a standing ovation when she completed her presentation and the fact that the plan had won over everyone was evident on everyone's faces even the difficult to please historians and activists who no one worth their salt wanted to mess with.

No voting was needed, it was clear Helena Developers' had bagged the tender but they went with it for the sake of it.

After the following brunch was over, Ryan and Rose completed the signing of initial documents, the final ones were to be done in a week's time once a complete architectural in-depth survey of Regalia was completed and submitted by both City and Helena Developers.

Just as Ryan and Rose were about to step down from the podium, the display screen flickered to life and showed the messages that were left on Rose's wall at Hyde Park, on the plans in Matt's study and the letter that Rose recently received in slow succeeding loops.

It had the crowd's full attention, some even saw it as some thriller theme attached to Regalia's opening but Rose and Ryan knew better cause he motioned his staff to stop it immediately.

Just then a voice resembling Ryan's was audible clearly to everyone saying, "Your new lover's dogs have been chasing me and this is the best I could come up with" on loop.

A/N: New twist!! I myself didn't see that coming!!

Thoughts, opinions, views?!

Stay safe, keep reading, don't forget to vote.