Chapter Three ~ Music Box

As the next year went by, even though Amelia's family had called her crazy and other horrible names when she had told them about her Christmas adventure, Amelia knew in her heart that what she had experienced the last Christmas just had to have been real.

She was even proven right when once again on the very next Christmas Eve Santa had popped down her chimney, carrying the little girl that she had met the Christmas before. Amelia had gotten to say hello, and she had even gotten to know Eve a little bit more that night. She had learned that Eve was in fact the daughter of Santa Claus, confirming Amelia's previous suspicions, and Eve had also told her a little bit about where she lived.

She had explained that the north pole that people had written stories about was real, but it was a little different to how people usually described it. In the winter time it was always covered in snow, but in the spring the snow began to melt, reveling meadows of wild flowers, green grass, and tons of beautiful pine trees that you could smell from a mile away.

Eve had even said that reindeer weren't the only creatures that lived at the pole. Their where unicorns there too! And if you where pure of heart and kind of person, they would allow you to ride them and would help you if you where ever in need.

Eve had made it sound so magical that Amelia had hung onto her every word, which Eve had found to be very cute.

"If you'd like, perhaps I could take you their someday?"

She had asked, and Amelia had beamed at her request as she eagerly nodded her head.

It hadn't been long though before Santa and Eve had had to continue their yearly duties and leave once again, but Eve had promised her that she would come back to see her again soon.

And so she did.

The very next Christmas in-fact was when Amelia got to see her new friend.

Now the two of them where twelve years old, so Santa had deemed them old enough for Eve to stay with Amelia for a few hours while he continued his yearly tasks. Thankfully Amelia's family went out every Christmas to their friends lavish Christmas parties, so they didn't have to worry about being too loud, and Amelia was incredibly happy about that, because whenever Eve came to visit, it meant that Amelia got to actually spend the holidays with someone who also wanted to spend them with her, and that was far more than she could have ever wished for.

The two of them had played games together and ran around the house. When Santa had come back, Eve hadn't wanted to go, but she knew that it was getting late and she had to do as her father said. But once again she had promised Amelia that she would return.

Eve had given Amelia her email address that year, so that they could keep in contact until they could see each-other again and be pen-pals of a sort. Amelia had been delighted about that and had written to her the very moment she had left.

As the next year past by the two of them had sent many emails to each other talking about everything. Amelia had never had a truer friend.

One night Amelia had told Eve all about her social studies project at school in which she had decided to see how many people would join in with her to help raise funds for the local homeless people.

A surprising amount of her classmates had joined in with the project, which had made Amelia very happy indeed.

She had even finally made some friends at her school that her sister could not steel away, but she still could not bring herself to tell them what her home life was like as she didn't want to bother anyone, or loose a friendship because they felt sorry for her.

Besides, even if she had told her friends, they where likely not to believe her anyway, mainly due to the fact that whenever she had them over at her house, her parents would put on a show, making it seam as if they actually did care.

Amelia had a feeling though, that if she where to tell Eve about it, her truest friend, she might well have believed her. But she was scared and felt that she simply couldn't risk loosing what they had as Eve was her very bestest friend and she didn't want to loose her.

When the next Christmas came along, Eve had turned up once again, and the two of them had been allowed to spend a few hours together once more, but this time Eve had something special planned.

"Where are we going?"

Amelia had asked as Eve had began to lead her out the door of her house and up the snowy street.

The two girls hands where clasped together while they ran.

"It's a surprise, you'll see!"

Eve said as they continued towards their destination.

Before Amelia knew it, the girl she had gotten to know so well had led her to a beautiful field, not too far away from her home, that was glistening with freshly fallen snow. In two shakes of a mouse's tail Eve had cleared a circle of the snow away with a magic swirl of her hand, revealing the sparkling dew-dropped grass beneath it.

"Do you like it?"

Eve had asked, looking nervous.

But Amelia couldn't wipe the grin away from her face.

"I love it Eve!"

Amelia had known that the Claus's could do magic since she had first met them, but it still never ceased to amaze her. Especially when Eve did it.

Eve smiled with relief.

"I saw it on the way here from the sleigh and I just knew I had to show you, especially with tonight being your birthday and all. But I'm not done yet."

She added as she started rummaging around in her bag for something.

Amelia grew older every year on Christmas Eve, a birthday that had never been celebrated in her family, so to have it be celebrated by her bestest friend, was the greatest gift that Amelia had ever been given.

When Eve had found what she was looking for and pulled it out of her bag, she placed the object on the ground and twinkled her fingers at it. Immediately sparks flew towards the object that Amelia was just now realizing was some kind of beautiful music box, and as the sparks of light arrived at their target, a lovely little song began to play. To Amelia's surprise, a projection of a photo of the two of them had popped up, almost like a hologram!

Eve must have made the beautiful object herself and Amelia was very impressed by it.

She was fairly certain that holograms hadn't even been invented yet, but before she could spend too long marvelling at the trinket or thinking about that fact, Eve had walked back up to her and gingerly held out her hand.

"Would you... would you like to dance Amelia?"

She asked, sounding almost nervous as she did. As Amelia gave her a shy nod and accepted the girls invitation, she began to realize what she had not quite yet realised before.

She began to realize that she really liked Eve.

And maybe not just as a best friend.

Amelia had found her first crush that night.

Her first love was Santa Claus's daughter, and somehow she felt that she might never love another quite as much, as she loved Her.