Chapter Four ~ Absenses

After the night when they had danced and laughed until they simply couldn't anymore, once Eve had left, Amelia had found a note in the jewerly box that she had made for her, along with yet another gift.

The note had read:

Dear Amelia, I wanted to make you something special this year. Something that, if you'd like, you can keep with you so that it can remind you that you are never alone.

You are my forever friend.

Love from Eve.

P.s, whenever I think of you, the lights will swirl.

Amelia had marvelled at the gift, and to this day she was still always looking at it. It was a beautiful snow-globe pendant, that had the aurora lights inside. Whenever Eve was thinking of her, the lights would move around, making Amelia blush every time she saw it.

As the next year went by, Amelia and Eve had kept in contact through their emails once again, and Amelia had learned even more about the girl she loved.

Amelia had learned that Eve had always loved technology, and had been trying to experiment lately with using both technology and magic, merged together to make new things.

Amelia had thought that she was very smart to be able to do such amazing things, but Eve was always denying that. Eve had also learned more about Amelia, she had found out that Amelia still loved fairy tales and soft toys, and that her love of books about fantasy worlds and romance had only grown since she was little.

Eve had found these things about her to be incredibly adorable, but of course she had not actually said so. After all, how could she be sure that Amelia would feel the same way about her, and what if she didn't even like girls?

It was close towards Amelia's fourteenth birthday when things had begun to change.

She had begun to receive less and less emails from Eve, and though she hoped that she was not bothering her, she had tried to ask if everything was ok. It was an especially hard year for Amelia since most of her friends at her high school where not as interested in hanging out with her anymore. She wasn't into partying or drinking like they where and this always seamed to put a distance between them. She really hoped that this was not why Eve was distancing herself from Amelia as well because she couldn't bear the thought of loosing her friendship too.

But Eve had just said that everything was fine.

She had apologized for not emailing as much as well and she had said that things where just busier than usual at the pole. Amelia had hoped that that was all their was too it, but when weeks had passed without another email or an explanation of her friends absence, Amelia knew that something just had to be wrong.

So she tried asking again, but this time she got no response.

A week later, with still no word to be had, she tried again. And a couple of days after that, again.

It was all very strange because Amelia knew Eve better than she knew anyone, and although her insecurities where making her feel like she just wasn't interested in talking to her anymore, Amelias heart still persisted on telling her otherwise.

Besides why would such a dear friend contact Amelia twice a week, every week for years, only to stop now?

But as the weeks went by, Amelias worry and insecurities grew, and as months began to pass her heart felt heavier than snow.

Maybe she had inadvertently done something wrong. Maybe Eve, just like her family, had begun to think differently about her, or maybe she had grown out of their friendship and decided to make new friends instead.

She felt crushed, absolutely broken inside, but even despite this for quite some time she still continued to send her friend emails.

Sometimes she would talk about her day pretending like nothing had changed, other times about how sad she was and just how much she missed her, and than other times, she couldn't bring herself to send anything at all.

Things continued this way until Christmas Eve, when Amelia had stayed up the whole night, waiting.

She had hoped against her better judgement that perhaps that night would be the one too break the silence between them.

But unfortunately, that wish had not come true.

She had not gotten the explanation she had so direly been seeking, nor the friend she had felt that she had lost, and devastation could not begin to describe her feelings as her heart became numb.