Solitude

~Sixteen Years Ago~

"I have a question!" Raising my hand I asked, "Why can't we use resentment as a technique to control instead?"

What was so wrong with my question that I deserved to be hit by a book?

Watching Elder Lan Qiren seethe in front of me made me chuckle inwardly. He needs to relax or else he would soon bore wrinkles on his forehead. Not that he was young but I didn't wish to insult old people either.

"How dare you talk about resentful and dark techniques in this class? Aren't you aware of the consequences or are you so proud and overconfident of yourself that nothing would harm you?"

"I-"

"Get out from here and don't ever walk into this class again if you have such uncouth attitude."

Before I could speak he tried to caution again, "Remember my words Wei Wuxian; this path is dark. One can never tame resentment. It changes a persons personality and their thinking. Stick to pious learning and improve in strengthening your core."

With that I was dismissed and secretly wondered what was wrong with these people?

If one can control resentment, they need not only depend on solely their core. One could be strong enough to channel the already present resentment from corpses and use it to tame them. Well these people are so stuck in their own vision they would never agree to my methods.

"Hey!"

A shoulder nudged me hard and the voice though strict did not hold any malice, "Why do you keep antagonizing Elder Lan Qiren? You don't want him to punish you Wei Wuxian and you definitely don't want him to complain to father."

Yes, Jiang Cheng was right but that didn't mean he shouldn't be questioned. But knowing how worried Shijie and Jiang Cheng would be, I agreed to not bother Elder Lan Qiren henceforth.

"You're right I won't cause anymore trouble."

"Brother Wei!"

We both tuned to look at a man holding fan and I grinned as he got closer, "Nie Huaisang what are you doing here?"

"You should have seen Elder Lan's face. It was so hilarious! Though after you left he warned us to stay away from you."

"And yet you're here," raising my eyebrows I comment and he gives me a sly smile.

I liked this kid. He was too innocent for this realm. The only two things he loved in this world was his brother and collection of Hand Fans.

They were called away for another class and I having nothing better to do left Cloud Recess to roam the village of Gusu. What I failed to realise was a pair of pale eyes tracking my move.

The village was much more lively than up in the mountains. Cloud Recess frankly bored the life in me. Their food wasn't tasty nor was it colourful. They were too strict for my liking and had way lot many rules to remember.

Down here was heaven. People were simple and liquor was abundant.

"How many jars do you need Young Master?"

Remembering the event from few nights ago where Lan Wangji broke my jar I ordered for two. Taking a sip made my soul ecstatic. True to the rumours, Gusu's Emperors Smile was truly a bliss to a parched heart.

Making my way around I found few kids playing and the child in me joined them. Laughter filled my ears and mine resonated in theirs.

"Could someone help me?"