One more letter

Tonight I am missing you a lot Lan Zhan! It makes me hopelessly wish that if you were here; I would have poured you a cup of liquor and made you drink it. What would your reaction have been? Like your teenage self; would you have been asleep instantly, or had two more cups and survived my incessant talks?

A strange pain seared through my heart and I sighed.

You aren't here. I am. Why?

Feeling for the bunch of papers that have been weighing down on me forever, tonight I succumb and bring out a faded envelope to read. At the top was my name written in neat calligraphy. Fo reasons unknown it made me smile. Even in pain you abide by the rules of Gusu, eh Lan Zhan?

Taking a deap breath I opened the letter. The first thing I noticed were stains inbetween some sentences. Few words were smudged. Caressing them lightly with my thumb, I realised they were Lan Zhan's precious tears.

Dear Wei Ying,

Dear Wei Ying,

Have you been well?

It has been ten years since we last met. They say when you haven't met someone for a long time, often one has lots to share. In my case, I don't have much to say; maybe that's because between us, you were always the one with lots of words and I a mere hearing aid.

How our roles have reversed, haven't they? Now it's me all verbose and you... hopefully are hearing me cry.

Last night I played Inquiry. The kind spirit who has been helping me is yet again unable to find you.

Can I reveal a part of my heart Wei Ying?

I am losing hope. I am losing hope of ever meeting you again. I am losing hope that you've already crossed over to the immortal world and are not waiting for me. I am losing hope that even after my life, I will always be apart from you!

I just have one wish Wei Ying... and that is to hold you in my arms. Just once!

Wei Ying... will you be there? Would you still remember me? Would you still remember your Lan Zhan?

I wonder if you were here, how would you react towards me? I know, there would be no reaction because you wouldn't have been in Gusu. I had pleaded you to come back with me to Gusu; but you didn't. If you had, I wonder how many rules you would have broken until now?

This heart aches for you.

The last time we met; you asked me to let go. Even after all these years I have been unable to let go of your memories Wei Ying. Just give me some more time... one day, hopefully, as you wanted... I'll let you go. Until then, please bear me with. Let me hold onto our precious memories.

I love you.

I always will.

Yours,
Lan Zhan.