Lan is my surname

Having never been to Yueyang before, I had to say, this journey has been by far the most I have travelled. The hand had pointed out towards this direction and all I did was simply follow around. It had taken me an entire day to reach this place.

Watching people go by their daily chores makes me wonder, how beautiful it is to go back to a house filled with your loved ones after a hard day's work. Must be pretty; right Lan Zhan? I at times wonder if we ever had a chance to live together? Who am I kidding!? Your uncle would never have allowed that.

Shaking my head I look around to seek some questions; when my gaze lands on a small shop that sold liquor. Grinning at my old friend, I strolled at my own pace and watched gleefully as various sellers tried to lure me in.

Lan Zhan, if you were here, would you have allowed me to act as per my wish or would you have shared a cup of liquor with me?

At that thought; an old memory flashed in front of my eyes when a young Lan Zhan drank cup of liquor and instantly fell asleep. That man could never hold his drink. If only you had accepted my offer and come to Yunmeng.

"Young Master, here!"

"Try our home made wines!"

"I guarantee that you would never have tasted such beauty before."

One caught my interest, "I challenge you to drink this entire jar and stand straight. If you do, I'll take your surname."

Hm. Challenge accepted!

Finishing the cup I raised my eyebrows, "Well? Take my surname."

"Not so soon Master. I meant an entire jar."

Oh! Today's going to be quite enjoyable.

"Make it three jars then."

I conjecture on how would these people assume when they look at a man dressed in white robes and face covered with a mask, entering their tavern? I am sure they'd think I am eccentric.

Following him to a corner I watched him dust the chair and table. "Please take a seat Master. I'll bring your jars shortly."

Taking out some coins from Lan Zhan's pouch I handed him the money and patiently waited for his return. Once I drink a jar, he'll be more complacent in answering my queries. If I don't spend money, he would not answer my questions.

I won't lie. When he did bring them and I took my first sip, it was as close to heaven. Not that I would know!

Snickering at that thought I consumed few more sips and finally asked, "Have you been living here for long?"

"Yes, Young Master."

"Good. Have you seen something strange happening in and around here?"

He pondered for a while and then stated, "Well not much in recent years, but there was a huge incident about a decade ago."

Decade ago?

"What exactly happened?"

Before he could answer the owner yelled, "Hey! What are you doing? Shouldn't you be working?"

Before he could leave I yelled, "I'll take five more jars."

Excited with prospect of earning more money the owner smiled, "Take care of that young Master."

Paying him some money, I took few more sips and the boy continued, "Few lanes from here there is this house where no one would dare venture near."

"Why? What happened?"