Painting Flowers

~Sixteen Years ago~

Smirking at the young lad sitting in front of me, I truly wondered for whom is this punishment; Lan Zhan or me?

Exhausted with my errant behaviour, Elder Lan Qiren assumed by making me write and copy Gusu's 3000 rules, I would find my way to salvation and the only one who could lead me towards his goal would be Lan Zhan.

Little did Elder of Gusu know that as much as it's a punishment for me to be here; probably it was more of a punishment for Lan Zhan too.

Everyday we would sit in Library Pavillion and he would watch over my work. At first it was pretty annoying but then everything changed.

I changed.

He changed my perception.

So vividly I remembered the day warm rays of sun reflected against Lan Zhan's contour and that very moment I wished to forever capture.

It was our last day together and for reason unknown it pained me to say goodbye. Lan Zhan's presence in my life became more apparent in this last one month. To have him watch over me, in secrecy it was me who sought him too.

Knowing this was it; quickly taking out the paper and in memory of this very moment, I painted Lan Zhan. My brush stroked every part of Lan Zhan's body. His calm eyes, his lips; his face and lastly to finish the sketch, I drew a flower over Lan Zhan's ear. 

"Lan Zhan!"

He as predicted ignored my very existence but that did not deter me.

"Lan Zhan!"

Kneeling next to him I placed the painting over his book, "This is for you."

Astonished by my gift I saw a his delicate lips curl up; albeit small but it sure was a rare smile.

"You liked it?"

A subtle nod from him made my heart lurch with happiness. Why am I feeling this ecstatic to see Lan Zhan smile?

But as ever I never paid attention to my heart and giving fire to my mischief, quickly I exchanged his book with something more prolific. Lan Zhan, just as I presumed roared with rage when he found I had exchanged his book with a homoerotic one.

"Wei Ying!"

His hands were at Bichen's hilt and my gut knew this was the right moment to escape. If not, it would be the end of me.

"Lan Zhan! Remember Gusu's rule. No fighting."

Bound by his clan's rules, Lan Zhan's hands were tied and this made me chuckle. Watching him scatter those pages all over, I found my perfect opportunity to run and never once did I ever witness what he did with the painting I gave him.

I should have.

I would have known what Wei Ying meant to Lan Zhan.